Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

auto starting a diesel generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritchie

Hi ,

I'm an electrical engineer and my knowledge about diesel engines is low, I want to run a diesel generator automatically, I wanna know how an automatic starter work? or another word when the start command send automatically, how can stop it(start signal)after engine run?, and what's the signal that help me to know the engine run and don't need the start signal afterwards,can i use the rising of frequency or voltage in the output of generator with an over/under frequency or voltage relay to stopping the start signal?

thanks a lot

Hi ,

I'm an electrical engineer and my knowledge about diesel engines is low, I want to run a diesel generator automatically, I wanna know how an automatic starter work? or another word when the start command send automatically, how can stop it(start signal)after engine run?, and what's the signal that help me to know the engine run and don't need the start signal afterwards,can i use the rising of frequency or voltage in the output of generator with an over/under frequency or voltage relay to stopping the start signal?

thanks a lot

Sounds like monitoring engine RPM [RPMe] and starter RPM [RPMs] is a good place to begin. Cut the starter when RPMe > RPMs for some short time interval, so I guess one possible prelim. P/L would be two F-V convertors, a comparator and a timer.

Last edited:
A simpler version could be to use a starter motor pulse of fixed duration.

Among other things the design depends on
the consequences of trying to restart a running engine vs. not trying to start an engine because the circuit thinks it is already running or it actually is not running.

The oil pressure and/or level needs to be checked for unattended operation. You don;t want to start an engine without oil.

Starting is usually engaging the starter for a fixed amount of time and checking for a start usually after a suitable delay. You build in a number of re-tries. You have to wait an amount of time to check the RPM and/or oil pressure.

You also saw multiple conditions where the engine needs to shut down, A few being, over temp and no oil pressure.

Load transfer gets other sets of conditions.

Good systems will check for state changes for things such as oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back