Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audioguru is still alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctors have the right to refuse to do surgery if they want in many cases, it's their prerogative. In his case I'd say it's justified, doesn't prevent the person from finding another surgeon though. Might even make the patient think for a little bit.

Are you smoking something? :confused:

You dont accidentally get all of the health problems associated with smoking from nothing!
If you think all of the scientific documentation that has proven smoking causes those health problems is fake either your greatly misinformed, retarded, or currently a smoker in denial! :eek:

I have several ex smokers in my family and every one of them used the same stupid arguments you atone time or another to justify that smoking was not any worse a health risk than any thing else they could think of.
Once they quit the said that they were wrong and had only one explanation to why they thought that its not harmful, DENIAL! :mad:

The few that still do smoke will side with you on the harmful effects of everyday life being just as bad or worse as those that they feel are not actually associated wit smoking but are just random coincidences. And that they wont happen to them. :(

My brother smokes and he says it has no effect on his health. Years ago he would challenge me to a foot race any time he could because he could beat me in both speed and endurance. I have mild asthma so I run out of breath faster.
Now he wont race his 7 year old daughter because she can out run him.
He says he just doesn't want to, its not that he cant. Bull ****! :mad:

A car accident or anything else accidental is just that accident.
What if you were in a park and a tree branch fell and hit you?
Does that mean you shouldn't be near trees? :confused:
What if your not doing anything and you just turn wrong and put you neck or back out of place? does that mean you shouldn't be turning around any more? :confused:

Sorry to UPSET YOU!

My Point is NOT TO SAY SMOKING IS OK. YES IT IS BAD FOR EVERYONE.

But So are MANY Other Things, and to Refuse Surgery, based on a person Continuing their faults (Such as Smoking) is Also Wrong.
Actually I pointed this out to a few Doctors, and They Agreed.

I'm not upset. I have just heard so many similar reasons or excuses said by so many other people the could not face an addiction problem. Be it smoking, drinking, or doing drugs.

And some of those people I care for more than most will ever realize.

I have had to let people go out of my life because they could not accept what they were doing was at high problem level.
Its worse than if they had died.
The person is there in body, but in character and what made me love them, that part is dead.

chemlec it's a moral decision on the doctors part. This is NOT a car crash victim, or someone with a serious immediately life threatening injury, for the doctor to refuse the surgery would have to be elective and not immediatly required. The patient would have no problems finding some other doctor to do the surgery I'm sure, but from the standpoint of a physician doing an elective surgery on someone that is not going to correct the root cause of the condition in the first place I can very much see his point of view.

Now I take one baby asprin per day,....

81mg aspirin is available in a coated version and is easier on the stomach. I'm on aspirin also (as well as Coumadin) because of an artificial valve. Three years ago, I had an ascending aortic aneurysm repaired and the congenitally-defective aortic valve replaced. The aneurysm is a rare find (the bum valve was discovered from investigating the aneurysm) as those are usually only discovered as ruptured in a post-mortem exam.

Dean

You have my sympathy. I do not smoke, but the wife does. We’ve been married now for 15 years. In all that time I tried to make her stop, but she simply can’t. She’s down to a few cigarettes a day, but still, I doubt if she’ll ever stop smoking. :confused:

I would consider a few cigg's a day to not only be okay, but may be healthy in relieving stress. Problem is, most people can't maintain a two cigarette a day maximum.

For me, I would have to stop completely as two ciggs would just be a tease.

Stopping an addiction problem is not the doctors responsibility he is there to help and make suggestions. The actual stopping comes from the patient learning to know themselves. Whats the point of fixing a problem if the person will not take the actions to prevent it from happening again.
Your comment is typical of someone who does not understand an addict, or what addictions do.

For many, the onset of an addictions comes suddenly and with great force. Studies have shown that addiction is much more than a mere lack of will power as you imply.

The brain in a addict is somewhat impaired as compared to a non-addict. Certain hormones have ceased to function as they would in a non-addict. By using a substance such as nicotine the addict finds relief from a troubled mind and feels normal. This is clearly a biochemistry process and can not be dismissed as a lack of will.

Thankfully science has not dismissed addiction as a weak person as you have, with continued test using things such as MRI, science is now gaining a understanding to the root of addiction. Clinical trials are now being conducted to equalize hormone levels in a addicts brain with those of their non-addict counterparts.

I see the day coming that medication will be available to help addicts to remove that monkey from their back and once again resume normal lives.

Last edited:
I would consider a few cigg's a day to not only be okay, but may be healthy in relieving stress. Problem is, most people can't maintain a two cigarette a day maximum.

For me, I would have to stop completely as two ciggs would just be a tease.

That’s my argument exactly! If you smoke less than 5 cigarettes a day, you can just as well give up. That is if you want to give up, which she clearly does not want to do.

Last edited:
That’s my argument exactly! If you smoke less than 5 cigarettes a day, you can just as well give up. That is if you WANT to give up.

Studies have shown a couple cigarettes a day reduces high blood pressure and stress.

This is healthy. If your wife is able to maintain two ciggs a day then I suspect she will live a long and happy life.

As I said before, most people cannot maintain a two cigarette a day maximum.

For me cigarettes are like potato chips. One is just not enough. ;)

I gave up 7 years ago after nearly 30 years of smoking. The way it happened surprised me. My wife bought a book for my birthday "The easy way to stop smoking" by Allan Carr. The following weekend I started reading it on the Sunday morning, by dinner time I had finished it and at midnight I had my last cigarette. The weirdest thing is that at the beginning of the book I had no intention of giveing up. My wife still smokes even after reading the book.

Mike.

I will have to buy that book. I will try anything. Well almost anything :)

I know a lady who tried for years to give up, eventually she went to a hypnotist, and managed to give up easily with his help.
would my concept be right that either very low temperature or lot of free time ( lack of proper pre-occupation ) leads to a temptation to some of these habits.
I saw many times that fully busy person doen't think of a cigarette as his goal is elsewhere ?

Last edited:
Mike I'm a little surprised as someone that is in the medical field that you would say that a few cigarettes a day is healthy or okay in any way.

For one nicotine is a stimulant NOT a sedative, the 'relaxing' effects are only experienced by people addicted that are going through withdrawal. And no amount of smoking is 'safe' lung cancer isn't necessarily caused by the toxins contained in the nicotine somuch as it's caused by the constant iritation of the lung tissue by the particulate matter in the smoke itself.

I would love to know what studies you found nicotine caused a reduction in stress and blood pressure as one of the primary effects of nicotine is an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Could you refrence those studies?

Some people have great luck with hypnotists, myself I'm not susceptable so it was never an option for me. I would recommend it for anyone having trouble quiting as the success rate is quiet high for people that are susceptable.

Mike I'm a little surprised as someone that is in the medical field that you would say that a few cigarettes a day is healthy or okay in any way.

For one nicotine is a stimulant NOT a sedative, the 'relaxing' effects are only experienced by people addicted that are going through withdrawal. And no amount of smoking is 'safe' lung cancer isn't necessarily caused by the toxins contained in the nicotine somuch as it's caused by the constant irritation of the lung tissue by the particulate matter in the smoke itself.

I would love to know what studies you found nicotine caused a reduction in stress and blood pressure as one of the primary effects of nicotine is an increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Could you refrence those studies?

Some people have great luck with hypnotists, myself I'm not susceptable so it was never an option for me. I would recommend it for anyone having trouble quiting as the success rate is quiet high for people that are susceptable.

Okay, I understand that my claim sounds like a contradiction and I must admit I do not have any study to cite. I based my claim on what was told to me by an MD.

Here is how it was explained to me.

Stress is often linked to high blood pressure. Someone under a stressful condition often exhibits increased heart rate, vaso-restriction and other vascular responses.

Albeit a cigarette is a stimulant and this sounds counter-intuitive, but consider that nicotine also elicits other physiological responses. One being the release of hormones like dopamine that assist one in dealing with stress and trigger the pleasure center of the brain. These hormonal releases help one during a stressful time thus keeping a homeostatic condition of ones blood pressure.

Keep in mind this thinking is for people who smoke one or two cigarettes per day. For most people the one or two cigarette a day will never work as the desire to activate the pleasure center of the brain becomes to great thus this person will never stop at two smokes.

My point was that if one is able to limit themselves to a puff or two a day, then I suspect that there will be no complications.

Last edited:
Mikebits, that doctor must have been a smoker. I don't see how he could justify that stand, but if he was a smoker, he could rationalize it.
If second hand smoke causes cancer, imagine what 1 or 2 cigarettes a day will do.

I would strongly recommend you find the studies that were cited, as nicotine only acts as a mood stabilizer to those addicted to it, to non-addicted individuals the stimulant effect overrides everything else. Believe me I remember the first drag I took off a cigarette, the 'buzz' far outweighs the dopamine effect although the dopamine effect lasts longer.

Even low daily use is still addiction. Nicotine is not like alcohol where occasional use is healthy.
In the case of a puff or two a day, again the stimulant effect is predominant, so it's what you're addicted to that's the question in that case. The only acceptable use of nicotine would be similar to that of many other drugs, occasional use, meaning once a month or more, not a day. Even once or twice daily the irritating effects of the smoke on the lungs increases lung cancer risk.

A puff or two a day will have a negative effect on stress levels, blood pressure, and heart rate, unless the addiction is in place already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back