Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audioguru is still alive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you drink much? One of the things my dad was saying to me the other day is his Triglycerides were high even though he got his colestral down, because he still has a gin and tonic often.

I liked a drink every now and then. With the anti-cholesteral drug I must not have alcohol.

I liked a drink every now and then. With the anti-cholesteral drug I must not have alcohol.
This is the nasty part of it for any one once habituated for alcohol. You are likely show up the side effects in the shape of irritation etc. here is what i commented that near and dear help you slowly overcome the side effect of preventing alcohols.

Thank you for helping me in the little time i've been on here many of my posts have been answered by the audio guru.
Glad to hear your still around to answer them in the future :D

HI Audioguru, Were both Canadian and it Sounds like were both about the same age.
(Me, 64)
I just got home from the hospital on May 15, Re: Lung Cancer.
They removed Half of my Right lung.

And Doing OK, So Far.

Take care...Gary

Good luck, Gary.
I stopped smoking 5 or 6 years ago.
The smoking was very bad for my heart and I hope my lungs are OK.

Good luck, Gary.
I stopped smoking 5 or 6 years ago.
The smoking was very bad for my heart and I hope my lungs are OK.

I had my last smoke, just before the operation on May 8.
Just couldn't seem to Quit 50 years of smoking.

Came home from hospital on May 15 and haven't started again.
Now, Doing my BEST To stay QUIT Completely.

The Surgery I had was a Somewhat Less Invassive one. (But 0ne Hour Longer surgery)
Just 4 Small Incissions, plus one for a drain tube, instead of the Normal Large incission around the side from front to back.

And Most amazing after 50,years of smoking, My lungs, breathing and blood oxygen are actually very good.

HOPE YOUR HEALTH ALSO STAYS GOOD.
Many People Here NEED YOUR WISDOM.

Take care...Gary

well sorry to hear about your mishap hope you get healthy again. I have a friend who has just recovered from a heart attack, just take it easy now won't you. healthy diet some calm exercise and don't get upset when students get things totaly wrong on forums

Lung cancer is scary. I am a long term smoker and I rather not have to get cancer to convince me to quit this nasty habit, but it is hard, really hard. Many might not understand how hard it is.

Bottom line. Don't smoke, never smoke... Never.

Last edited:
Lung cancer is scary. I am a long term smoker and I rather not have to get cancer to convince me to quit this nasty habit, but it is hard, really hard. Many might not understand how hard it is.
Bottom line. Don't smoke, never smoke... Never.
Instead, you may try to practice tapering down. there are jokes in India, never hold a match box or cigar lighter. even if you hold a match box always take only 2 or 3 sticks. conscience wont permit borrowing match box.
similarly, never carry a pack of cigarettes, take only 1 or 2 loose .
over a period of say 2 months you are sure to reduce. These are all ideas heard only, as I am not a smoker, Mike. But I know it is very difficult.

All the best on your efforts to come out of the habit, Mike.

I had my last smoke, just before the operation on May 8.
Just couldn't seem to Quit 50 years of smoking.

Came home from hospital on May 15 and haven't started again.
Now, Doing my BEST To stay QUIT Completely.

My father went in for an operation on his leg, to have a Dacron tube fitted for poor circulation - caused by years of smoking.

He was in the ward awaiting the operation talking to another guy who said "he couldn't wait to get home so he could have a smoke" - as he said this the surgeon happened to come round to see them. On hearing this the surgeon told him it would be sooner than he thought, as he was signing him out there and then - he wasn't wasting his time doing the operation on someone who wasn't stopping smoking.

My dad's first leg went fine, and it was the first time his foot had been warm for years - but unfortunately he died before the operation on his second leg, a heart attack caused by years of smoking - he was about 61 years of age :(

He was in the ward awaiting the operation talking to another guy who said "he couldn't wait to get home so he could have a smoke" - as he said this the surgeon happened to come round to see them. On hearing this the surgeon told him it would be sooner than he thought, as he was signing him out there and then - he wasn't wasting his time doing the operation on someone who wasn't stopping smoking.
I often feel that doctors treat me in this way. After all I am doing this to myself, but this notion does violate the Hippocratic oath, and am I sick because I am so self destructive? Is it not the duty of the doctor to help me overcome this bad habit?

I am sure you are like many that think we choose to be addicts, we made our beds now lie in it, and it is our own fault that we smoke or drink. New studies have shown that certain addictions are predisposed and certain individuals outcome in life can be predicted based on this predisposition. Thus this indicates an illness, and as such, the doctor is bound by oath to treat said illness. To do otherwise would open the doctor for malpractice.

So hold malcontent to me for my perceived weakness if you will. This is a burden I have carried for a long time. I assure your I do not relish the next smoke that I light. I only wish you could understand, which I think it is impossible to wear my shoes.

Last edited:
So hold malcontent to me for my perceived weakness if you will. This is a burden I have carried for a long time. I assure your I do not relish the next smoke that I light. I only wish you could understand, which I think it is impossible to wear my shoes.

You have my sympathy. I do not smoke, but the wife does. We’ve been married now for 15 years. In all that time I tried to make her stop, but she simply can’t. She’s down to a few cigarettes a day, but still, I doubt if she’ll ever stop smoking. :confused:

You have my sympathy. I do not smoke, but the wife does. We’ve been married now for 15 years. In all that time I tried to make her stop, but she simply can’t. She’s down to a few cigarettes a day, but still, I doubt if she’ll ever stop smoking. :confused:

And I am sure, she would prefer to be a non-smoker...

Thanks for understanding.

I hear a little dab of super glue on the end of random cigarettes tends to take the joy right out of smoking! The awful taste makes the thought of lighting up and finding one a bit more of a motivator to quit.;)

And no one had better reply and say smoking super glue could kill you!
YOU already are smoking a cigarette, SO think about it! ;)

Stopping an addiction problem is not the doctors responsibility he is there to help and make suggestions. The actual stopping comes from the patient learning to know themselves. Whats the point of fixing a problem if the person will not take the actions to prevent it from happening again.

The Hippocratic oath ranks right up there with the customer is always right, the government never lies, big business has your best interests in mind, and your religion is the right one.:mad:
Its just a line of BS to make a person feel better and not take responsibility for their own actions or situation. :mad:

I am aware of my natural predispositions to doing certain things that are not good for me. SO I take the simple measures of making sure I do not have the opportunities for those tendencies to be triggered.;)

I smoked for about 6-7 years or so, as much as two packs a day. Took me several dozen times to quit, but I muddle through it somehow. The rituals are the hard part, like right after a meal, first thing in the morning, with a cup of coffee.. everyone has their own. Quiting was hard on me and not too easy on the people around me but I have a really good control of my temper in the first place. The important thing I think is to keep trying to quit, not smoking has to become a habbit as well, so even if you can only quit for a few days at a time just try to go a little bit longer each time. Oddly enough out of all the people I know just about everyone says I'm the last person they ever though would stop smokeing, funny thing is I'm the only one I know that actually has =O My wife still does smoke and it's really hard on both me and her when she tries to quit, hopefully it'll happen one day. I think the thing that really made me quit most was I started getting winded too easily, I'm not an exercise nut but that really irritated me that I wouldn't be able to run around like a damn fool when I really wanted to because of a stupid habbit. That and the whole lung cancer and COPD thing. My father has COPD and it's not any fun.

Last edited:
My father went in for an operation on his leg, to have a Dacron tube fitted for poor circulation - caused by years of smoking.

My dad's first leg went fine, and it was the first time his foot had been warm for years - but unfortunately he died before the operation on his second leg, a heart attack caused by years of smoking - he was about 61 years of age :(

You need to Tell that doctor: Should he gets in a Car accident, he won't be treated for his injurys, until he breaks the habit of DRIVING cars. Driving a Car is VERY Life Threatening.

If this Opinion Applies to Smokers, the Same Rule should apply for: Race Car drivers, Stunt Drivers, Hockey Players, Skiers, redeo riders and all other dangerous sports and occupations.

You need to Tell that doctor: Should he gets in a Car accident, he won't be treated for his injurys, until he breaks the habit of DRIVING cars. Driving a Car is VERY Life Threatening.

If this Opinion Applies to Smokers, the Same Rule should apply for: Race Car drivers, Stunt Drivers, Hockey Players, Skiers, redeo riders and all other dangerous sports and occupations.

Are you smoking something? :confused:

You dont accidentally get all of the health problems associated with smoking from nothing!
If you think all of the scientific documentation that has proven smoking causes those health problems is fake either your greatly misinformed, retarded, or currently a smoker in denial! :eek:

I have several ex smokers in my family and every one of them used the same stupid arguments you atone time or another to justify that smoking was not any worse a health risk than any thing else they could think of.
Once they quit the said that they were wrong and had only one explanation to why they thought that its not harmful, DENIAL! :mad:

The few that still do smoke will side with you on the harmful effects of everyday life being just as bad or worse as those that they feel are not actually associated wit smoking but are just random coincidences. And that they wont happen to them. :(

My brother smokes and he says it has no effect on his health. Years ago he would challenge me to a foot race any time he could because he could beat me in both speed and endurance. I have mild asthma so I run out of breath faster.
Now he wont race his 7 year old daughter because she can out run him.
He says he just doesn't want to, its not that he cant. Bull ****! :mad:

A car accident or anything else accidental is just that accident.
What if you were in a park and a tree branch fell and hit you?
Does that mean you shouldn't be near trees? :confused:
What if your not doing anything and you just turn wrong and put you neck or back out of place? does that mean you shouldn't be turning around any more? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back