Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Assembly on the MPLAB-X IDE, how???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing you were missing is the prototype of _add and the call to it.
You have it working?! Thanks, but I don't understand, what is "the prototype of _add and the call to it"?
Is it this part?
"
void add(void);

void main(void) {
add();
}
"

Is that all that's needed to make the assembly code execute (in the simulator)?

I have an MPASM (v5.75) if I am doing a PIC18 project, but there is no option to select when I am doing a PIC24 or PIC30. Is ASM30 required?
If so, why the fuzz do they provide MPASM and not ASM30? Why not at least let me know that tool is missing?

Also (venting), Why does Microchip have this thing up there a$$ to get away from assembly? Had I known this I would have dropped them for another brand immediately. Microchip if you read this... you stink! Can I still get an 8080?

Now I'm lost. XC16 is installed, so you say the assembler is already installed. Now how can I add it to the IDE? Isn't adding it installing it? When I create a project there is nothing I can see to add it.

I really don't get it, and blame it all on Microchip...who sucks.

ASM30 is in the Microchip directory!! You need to add it..

Open MPLAB@X
Select:- Tools/Options/Embedded
Select:- Add
Mine is here...
upload_2017-10-19_21-17-5.png

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\MPLAB ASM30 Suite\bin

Then the IDE spazzes out and you can then select ASM30 as your tool...

now that's my problem. I don't have any ASM30 or pic30-as.exe there!

Gdamn microchip, microsoft, micro...whatever they are all the same.

The reason we still have it is because we still use MPLAB IDE v8... The MPLAB@X is installed in the same directory, hence the ASM30 suite is installed...

Just looked and XC16 has its own assembler!!!

Just as an aside, I installed MPLab X 4.01 a few days ago on your recommendation. I am still afraid to use it. Will my MPLab 8.92 projects be forever corrupted, as happens with later versions of Eagle?

Meanwhile I spent the last few hours finding ASM30 version 3.31 on microchips website. Downloaded, unzipped, created a bunch of files in a bunch of folders and not a single exe or anything that appears to be a ASM30. Nothing in MPLABX likes anything in those directories.

Maybe I should try version 8? I always used 7.xx because 8 did not supported my older PC where I did/do all the programming. On the newer PC I can only simulate.

I'm thinking of hiring somebody to set this up for me. Or maybe I give up.

Microchip has failed me and left me with 2 circuit board designs that two different companies paid for and are being made with a chip I promised to program for them and apparently I can't.
They fcked me over because they don't think anybody wants to use assembly anymore. Well guess what...I don't want to use Microchip anymore.

Just as an aside, I installed MPLab X 4.01 a few days ago on your recommendation. I am still afraid to use it. Will my MPLab 8.92 projects be forever corrupted, as happens with later versions of Eagle?
I still have v8 for my current projects... I have done four new projects with MPLAB@X and XC8 and all have been successful.. I mainly useMikroC pro for Pic32 at the moment ( whilst my new project is being done ) but all my exsisting stuff is still done in MPLAB DE v8.xx.. If you import to MPLAB@X then yes... No going back..

So let me ask one big question:

Can I expect some success programming a 24F in assembly if I nuke all this LAB-X crap and start over with version 8.xx?
I'll do that in a minute if it gave me a working assembler again.

So let me ask one big question:

Can I expect some success programming a 24F in assembly if I nuke all this LAB-X crap and start over with version 8.xx?
I'll do that in a minute if it gave me a working assembler again.
You can have MPLAB IDE 8 and MPLAB@X on the same machine without any issues...

The reason we still have it is because we still use MPLAB IDE v8... The MPLAB@X is installed in the same directory, hence the ASM30 suite is installed...

Just looked and XC16 has its own assembler!!!
I posted my xc16 ASM user guild in post 17 LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back