Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARRL Handbook 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

I probably should have asked this question before I made a purchase, but I just ordered a New 2012 edition of the ARRL handbook for radio communications for 25 bucks off of Ebay. I use to own a 79 version a long time ago. Anyways, anyone have this book? If so, do you like it. I just wanted a good book on RF circuits, that covered a broad range of subjects. Most reference books I looked at just cover one subject like filters, mixers, amps or some other block in a RF chain. So, any input good or bad, I would like to hear about it.

Mucho De thank-o :confused:

I'm just a complete newbie, but to me the older ARRL books were much better at explaining things. Used to get them at the local library, but they don't have the older ones anymore.

This is the version I picked up. Hardback with a CD :)

s-l140.jpg

A couple of years ago I considered buying the new RSGB Handbook, as it was for sale at a local Radio Rally - however the huge cost put me off :D

Just checked on Amazon, about £44 now :nailbiting:

Same price for used ones as well, and one new one was £62?.

I bought two of them, brand new. The last was in 1988. I started in the hobby as radio amateur avid of learning. Old versions helped a lot but regret to say that the ARRL handbook became progressively less and less useful because it managed to include little bits about everything but rarely deep enough that you could find more than very basics doubts solved. And projects to build, almost vanished by that time.

Now that I think of it, that book looked like what nowadays could be a careful selection/collection of the so many millions of short articles in the Web mentioning the same elementary basics of a subject, on and on. You always end looking elsewhere to leave the basics behind.

Hope that what you bought, contradicts me.

Edit to add:

Not sure what you bought it for but had I the intention to start building things I could venture to buy the "EMRF" (or something like that) book.

Edit/

Last edited:
I have several editions of the book which I have bought over the years, 1974, 1981, 1989 and 2000.

I have to say that the 2000 edition was a disappointment to me, and I have hardly ever looked at it.

I also have the 1944 edition as an historical curiosity. It is interesting to see how things were done in days gone by.
Also of course the book was influenced by the global unpleasantness which was in full swing at the time. Some interesting technical insights there.

JimB

Just checked mine, I've got the 1976 RSGB Handbook, which is in two hardback volumes. I've also got the 1974 ARRL Handbook, in paperback.

I've also got the RSGB VHF Manual, but that's on a shelf at work (where I keep forgetting to bring it back) so I'm not sure of the date - I presume later 70's?

I have several editions of the book which I have bought over the years, 1974, 1981, 1989 and 2000.

I have to say that the 2000 edition was a disappointment to me, and I have hardly ever looked at it.

I also have the 1944 edition as an historical curiosity. It is interesting to see how things were done in days gone by.
Also of course the book was influenced by the global unpleasantness which was in full swing at the time. Some interesting technical insights there.

JimB

Now I am thinking I made a mistake ordering this book. I use to think this was the go to book for basic radio theory. I do not plan on building any radio stuff, I wanted a good general broad range reference source. I thought for 25 bucks, it was cheap compared to your standard reference books that run over well over a $100.00

Jim, can you tell why this book was a disappointment? I guess I will find out soon enough :meh:

Now I am thinking I made a mistake ordering this book. I use to think this was the go to book for basic radio theory. I do not plan on building any radio stuff, I wanted a good general broad range reference source. I thought for 25 bucks, it was cheap compared to your standard reference books that run over well over a $100.00

If you're not interested in radio, then they probably aren't a 'good reference book' - but for radio they are far better than electronics reference books.

I've been very pleased with mine, both RSGB and ARRL - I'd certainly like to have other editions of them as well (but I'm not prepared to spend serious money on it).

Jim, can you tell why this book was a disappointment? I guess I will find out soon enough :meh:

Well the one you've ordered isn't the same version, so it could be perfectly fine (although I'd like to know his reasons as well?).

I should restate what I meant. I am not planning to build a radio, but I am interested in the circuits, used in radio :)

Hola Mike, The book, EMRFD, gave way to a very active group in Yahoo.

Never heard or read a bad comment about it.

Buena suerte.

The last one I bought was a 2001 edition of the ARRL handbook. I must say that the newer versions that I have read, like I mean later than around 1990, have much better treatment of the basic theory on how to design a receiver.

Another book that I've used that is ok is "Communications Receivers" by Ulrich Rohde, Jerry Whitaker, TTN Bucher, McGraw-Hill, 2nd Edition 1996.

Well, I got the book in the mail today, I think it was sent Pony Express. At this point all I can say is the book is very big. It would take a very long time to read the whole thing. Has a lot of old school circuits in it from what I have seen so far. It was interesting to see 4000 logic in the digital section. I plan to read it a little more at a later time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back