Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ARM Cortex M4 PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeOJ

Hi, i understand the concept of PLL however i am struggling to understand it in the context of the arm cortex micro. Specifically the relationship between bus speed and clock speed.

An extract from a book I'm reading states:

Assume we wish to run an LM4F/TM4C micro with a 16MHz crystal at 80MHz. The divide by 2.5 creates a bus frequency of 80MHz, implemented as 400MHz divided by 5.
Code:
SycCttlClockSet(  SYSCTL_SYSDIV_2_5 | SYSCTL_USE_PLL | 
                          SYSCTL_OSC_MAIN | SYSCTL_XTAL_16MHz);

from my understanding:

the "SYSCTL_XTAL_" instruction is setting the speed of the crystal so what is the relevance of the 80MHz. I know that it is the bus frequency and if that is the care then by which frequency does one judge the speed of the microcontroller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back