Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino pro mini ver 5 woes and more woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr pepper

Most Helpful Member
I have got some pro mini's, ver 05.
They are genuine made in italy jobs and cost 15x what my import knock offs cost.
But unlike the clone's I cant program them.
The pinout for the programmer looks the same.
If I plug in a cheap clone and program the blink example, no problem, if I then immediately switch to one of these ver05's nope, the ide just says programming and goes in a endless loop, and never comes up finished programming.
I tried burning the bootloader, didnt work, and I tried using an uno as a isp, that wont work either.
Both genuine and clones are 5v 16mc's.
Very frustrating as I soldered 3 of them, in, and they are on tinned copper wires not headers, shan't be doing that again.
I dont see what the difference is between the clone and original, 'cept the clone is a ver3 layout.

If you look at the shc the ver3 has a cap on the dtr that holds the reset line till the ide can program the Ver5 doesn't have the cap.
The cap let's it go into program mode.
Hold the reset button till the ide tells you it's programing and let go it's kind of tricky but after you get the hang of it it's easy to do.

Thanks Burt.
I didnt know that about the V5 and the cap.
But I did try that reset trick and couldnt get it to work, I'll try it again in a minute, now I'm less annoyed it might work.
One thing I noticed the Dtr from the usb to serial usually goes to the reset, on the ver 5 the pin it goes to is marked Io7, its as though its a bootloader thing not a reset thing.

Edit: Tried it again, doesnt want to program, I noticed that the mini is running the analog read example (I didnt program it, I assume it came pre progged) and is outputting serial data at 38.4, I also noticed the serial output doesnt stop when the ide tries to program the device, with or without Dtr connected.
The reset buttn on the board does stop serial from being transmitted.
It seems like the analog read example has been burned using a Isp and there isnt a bootloader.

Last edited:
Gorrit to work.
I set the ide to arduino mini, then tried the reset button trick and it works.
Even with the Dtr from the usb to serial adaptor connected I still have to press & release the reset button at the right time.
Can I get this to work by sticking a 0.1u inline with Dtr?, shouldnt be too hard to put into the cable.

Then I found that the proc was running at 1mhz, ie default speed, so the fuses were not set, these chips were virgins never been burned from arduino cc, and they were top price from rs comps.
So I setup an uno and burned the bootloaders, now they work as expected, still with the reset button though, your right reset isnt connected.

So I moved on to the next part, rf modules, rf solutions zeta modules, big mistake, they claim a 2km range, I cant even get 2mm without half of the data being corrupted, with or without decoupling caps, I'm going back to dumb rf modules, I never liked the smart ones.

So I moved on to the next part, rf modules, rf solutions zeta modules, big mistake, they claim a 2km range, I cant even get 2mm without half of the data being corrupted, with or without decoupling caps, I'm going back to dumb rf modules, I never liked the smart ones.

Presumably you're doing something badly wrong then?.

Yes starting.

Getting a bit further now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back