Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino for the PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an Arduino like device that is for the PIC range of Microcontrollers?

What similar characteristics are you looking for:

I/O pin count ?
bootloader with PC IDE ?
memory capacity?
speed?
Programming language used?
Price?

The Arduino is my opinion the best value ( most bang for the buck) currently available. And the fact that it is open source for both it's hardware and software and it runs on Windows, Apple and Linux makes it kind of unique.

However some applications require more or less capabilities and there are alternatives for those case. So what are you requirements and budget?

Lefty

Last edited:
Yes there is. Brian Schmalz has a pair of nice designs. Check out the 18F2550 based UBW.(USB Bit Wacker) The UBW can be found in my signature. It is an easy DIY project on breadboard or PCB. You can also purchase it from Sparkfun assembled or as a kit.

Image from Brian Schmalz's UBW Site
**broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed**

If you need more processor the UBW32 uses the 100 pin 80 MHz PIC32MX460F512L.

Brian provides the Eagle files for makeing the UBW32 PCB but the processor is a 100 pin TQFP which most people may not want to tackle. It can be purchased ready to go from sparkfun.

Images from UBW32 site
**broken link removed****broken link removed**

You can use either with a USB based bootloader or the correct ICSP programmer/debugger.

You can use any language supported by the processors. That would be Basic, C, and ASM for the UBW. On the UB32 there is C and ASM, I do not know of a Basic for the 32 bit PICS, it may be out there. Brian has written a control program where a program on a PC commands the UBW or UBW32 to preform operations like manipulate ports or do ADC operations.

Very nice stuff but there are not nearly as many and developers a with the Arduino and you fill find a lot less prepackaged software. But you do have compiler vendor's libraries.
3v0

Last edited:
Is it possible to program a PIC with only 3 lines? VPP PGD PGC and have a seprate 5VDC and GND connection?

The signals need to share the ground as a reference (like every other single-ended signal).

Last edited:
My very first PIC prototype board design (2003) shares some of the Arduino design traits (RS232 interface, bootloader, etc.). I developed serial bootloaders for several different 28 and 40 pin 16F' and 18F' devices which were used on this board.

Mike

picture.php

The most close a Arduino is pinguino project, this use PIC 18F2550, and has USB port (without FT232), has a IDE (processing/wire), bootloader, ...

site: HackingLab
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Unduino?

What about the Unduino? **broken link removed** It is based on a dsPIC33 and looks pretty cool. It looks like it is compatible with Arduino shields.

The real advantage of Arduino is the VERY extensive open-source libraries of code & examples. No one else will catch up. Arduino is now the 'Windows' of the microcontroller world. Even Atlantic magazine had an article recently.

The real advantage of Arduino is the VERY extensive open-source libraries of code & examples. No one else will catch up. Arduino is now the 'Windows' of the microcontroller world. Even Atlantic magazine had an article recently.

Never say never. Everything comes and goes in the world of uC's.

It is not that big of a deal to translate many of the existing Arduino examples for use with PICs. I expect an include file could be written #defined most/all the AVR stuff to make it work on the PIC.

I think the me-too's that allow the use of existing shields are on the right track.

Last edited:
"It is not that big of a deal to translate many of the existing Arduino examples for use with PICs. I expect an include file could be written #defined most/all the AVR stuff to make it work on the PIC."

Sure, by an expert. The whole point is that Arduino is now in use by 100,000 non-experts. They do not know that include files exist. Duplicating the Arduino system would be a VERY big deal. Endless lIbraries, 100,000+ users, numerous clubs & online communities. I even know a woman who now makes her living giving Arduino courses.

Do not think in mere engineering terms. Arduino is a PHENOMENON. Duplication is highly unlikely.

Joe

The PINGUINO (HackingLab) looks so lovely :)

Thanks for sharing it Anunakin .

I wonder what PCBs like these are called.

Ah well actually I meant the PCB only :D not the whole thing.
it looks super cool.

This USB connector is wrong:

- this is a A type connector for HOST only
- since this is a USB Device, it should be using B type conenctor

Otherwise this is a very intresting project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back