Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arc Welding Safety First :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The iron losses won't be as bad as you think. He probably used mild steel which has a tight hysteresis loop and the rust acts as an insulator and blocks the eddy currents.

:D:D

True, but give him credit for making it work.

At least he has a welding rod to weld with. You have to improvise somehow in some countries where materials are scarce.

Perhaps it's a perpetual motion machine.

It seems to be often with some of these photo's which appear from time to time on the internet.
The overall picture is missing in which all the connections are visible.

Usually you see a close up photo, but the leads etc you can't see if they come from the welding TX or from an other source.

The welds would be nicer if the guy welding was not blind. Not sure how that happened. ;) Maybe with his homemade plasma cutter in another picture.

$99 at harborfeight.com would get him a wire feed unit, so he can sell all that copper and get a welder with a switch on it (and maybe a mask).

I have seen other pictures of this, there are two wires leaving the back of it. Probably tapping someones home power. :)

Far as the welding rod, heck I have used coat hanger with my gas welder, so he did not skimp there.

Wow....!!! Really surprised me that the transformer works well....
That man should have some burnt-proof fingers

RODALCO said:
It seems to be often with some of these photo's which appear from time to time on the internet.
The overall picture is missing in which all the connections are visible.

Usually you see a close up photo, but the leads etc you can't see if they come from the welding TX or from an other source.
I can understand your skepticism but I'm a believer here just look at the electrode and that fact that he's wearing no protective equipment. If it was just the transformer that looked dodgy then I would agree, it is a fake, but as the transformer fits into the rest of the picture so it makes more sense that it's genuine.

Last edited:
I see no reason to consider it a fake?, all the required elements are there, and in many countries you have to use what you have, there are some VERY resourceful people out there!.

i think that transformer would be real, he has got all the turns and stuff on there, and look at the location! wouldn't you think if he had a proper welder, he would be able to afford a pair of gloves and goggles?

I believe it is real as well. No reason to think it is not?

Just finished gas welding a muffler on my sons golf cart. Those gas welds are like solder and I like to do it that way. Now I hope that was not zinc plated. Will know in the morning. But it was fun.

If you can solder, you can gas weld. :)

I wish i could gas weld! I suck at that and brass brazing.

umm the picture didn't work???

It works if you strip the URL from the HTML source, and paste it in your browser, but it won't let you link from the page. I've uploaded the picture to the board!.

Attachments

• safety-first-002.jpg
    safety-first-002.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 671
wow that transformer is amazing!!! i'm very surprised it works!!!!!

That's a good point Nigel, we should upload the images in case the site goes down so this thread will still make sense.

Attachments

• safety-first-001.jpg
    safety-first-001.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 275
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back