Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arc Welding Safety First :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or play equipment for their childern.

It looks like some device from The Great Escape, it'd be handy for melting through locks and bolts in a prision.

I just abesent mindedly decided to grab a chunk of metal that was red hot moments before, so i come sit down in the office to hold some ice on my throbbing hand and this is what i see... eeek

Makes me cringe! How can he hold the electrode like that? His hands are gonna hurt worse then mine!

Yes, more quality aircraft repair from overseas!

Hey,you make do with what you have.... but soon he will have no eyes.

He is going to have a nasty UV burn on his left hand, but his eyes!

Last edited:
yeah, you can't see his eyes to see if he has welders goggles or not! I can't imagine welding without them, not only will you damage your sight, but you can't see what your doing at all! Judging from the look of the corner weld, he just closes his eyes and hopes for the best! If he gets the rod to close to the metal, it will stick and get red hot almost instantly, he will have to let go fast! I still can't get over the non-insulated electrode clamp.

I wonder if that transformer is out of a welder (why it would be out of its housing is beyind me) or if its salvaged out of somthing else? It seems to actually produce a decent arc. I'd expect a better arc from the transformer itself from looking at it!

that transformer looks nice and healthy:D :D yea they are pretty crap welds, but look what he is using:D

Come on guy's thats the new Qantas airways maintenance technicians:p

I remember one time when I was in the ship after welding I was had a good BATH & had a good FACE WASH immediately. I didn’t wear any face shields & gloves when welding.

When I get up next morning I couldn’t open my EYES. Bcuz the welding smoke has gone to my eyes & after washing it has spread & stuck in my eyes.
So I put 2 days leave & treated my eyes by keeping slim CUCUMBER pieces over my eyes for 2 days.

It was a good lesson for me.

So after welding I never wash me face immediately.

or you could wear a mask:D :D :D :D

Gayan Soyza said:
I remember one time when I was in the ship after welding I was had a good BATH & had a good FACE WASH immediately. I didn’t wear any face shields & gloves when welding.

When I get up next morning I couldn’t open my EYES. Bcuz the welding smoke has gone to my eyes & after washing it has spread & stuck in my eyes.
So I put 2 days leave & treated my eyes by keeping slim CUCUMBER pieces over my eyes for 2 days..
The intense UV light given off by the arc probably didn't do your eyes any good either.

That guy comes from an over-populated nation that has rows of idiots lined up to replace him after he goes blind or gets electrocuted. They operate just like sharks teeth. What surprises me it where di they get the electricity to run the transformer? Fields of potatoes and saltwater?

HiTech said:
where did they get the electricity to run the transformer? Fields of potatoes and saltwater?
hahahaha:D they probably tapped into a major cities power lines:D

Andy1845c said:
I wonder if that transformer is out of a welder (why it would be out of its housing is beyind me) or if its salvaged out of somthing else? It seems to actually produce a decent arc. I'd expect a better arc from the transformer itself from looking at it!
It looks like he (or one of his mates) made the transformer themself out of old electrical cable, sheet metal and tape. It's quite impressive, whoever made it must know something about engineering or they wouldn't have known how many turns to use or to use many sheets of steel stuck together with cable ties. It probably isn't as dangerous as it looks, as long as the insulation on the cables is good enough it shouldn't electrocute him. However, the insulation on the cables is probably rotten and the exposed live connections on the primary would kill him if he touched them.

It's a shame Nigel closed the DIY transformer thread, we could have suggested this method of construction for a home made transformer!

It is actually amazing that it works.

You only need one shorted turn for a burn out of the TX. wonder if the welder gets a tingle from tracking from the mains.

The iron losses must be horrendous in the laminations with all the damaged ends.

It doesn't look that he has any goggles on either.

RODALCO said:

You only need one shorted turn for a burn out of the TX. wonder if the welder gets a tingle from tracking from the mains.

The iron losses must be horrendous in the laminations with all the damaged ends.

It doesn't look that he has any goggles on either.
i'd imagine with a couple of amps(50-130), he'd be pretty sore afterwards.
as for the iron losses, i don't think he cares, he's probably stealing the power anyway:D i don't think goggles would be avaliable there anyway:D

RODALCO said:
it is quit amazing actually, considering what it's made of!!! none of my transformers work:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back