Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aoyue Hot Air Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Has anyone had experience with Aoyue? There prices seem really REALLY good so I don't know if they are junk or not. THe reason I've been holding back on a hot air station is because they are like $800USD+ (and it's even higher in Canadian dollars!).

But for $150...I might get one. Maybe even a backheater too just because it's so damn cheap, like $90.

What kind of rework station is it? Some of their *cough* hand-held hot air guns look like prettied up paint strippers (Not knocking hardware store variety hot-air guns - they're very useful).

I've only used the "Hakko 851" - it was an impulse buy a couple years back. I think it had a bit of a discount since it was open-box (at Fry's of all places). The things that I'd look for if I had to buy another one are:

1) internal air pump with a wide range of flows - low enough so it won't launch 0402 parts, high enough to cover the bigger SOIC packages.
2) multiple nozzles - I usually stick with the 3mm nozzle, occasionally use the 1mm nozzle (and break out the paint stripper when I just don't need fine control - i.e. tqfp144's and bigger)
3) the handle *never* gets warm - it intakes air just in front of the handle, sucks it into the pump and blows it back out through the center of the handle. The actual ceramic heater element is sitting in the metal tube in front .

PS, these things have more than a passing semblance to the Hakko productline...

PPS, What in the world is that thing sitting at https://www.hakkousa.com (?!)

hjames said:
PPS, What in the world is that thing sitting at https://www.hakkousa.com (?!)

From the "look and feel" of the website, I thinh Hakko is of Far Eastern origin.
To understand the spaceman with the rugby ball head I think you have to understand the Far East psyche. Not easy.

JimB

Reviving this topic as I wasn't able to find anything more recent. In the next few days I'm going to be purchasing a hot air station and I'm leading towards one of these two units...

Amazon.com: Aoyue 968 SMD Digital Hot Air Rework Station: Home Improvement
or
Amazon.com: Aoyue 2702A+ SMD Profesional Repair & Rework Station: Home Improvement

I've checked eBay and it doesn't look like I can beat these prices. The unit doesn't have to be top of the line as it probably will get used only once or twice a month. I have a MetCal iron that will get used on a daily basis.

The 968 has good reviews on Amazon, but nothing on the other one. I don't know that I'd ever use the desoldering pump either.

dknguyen, did you ever get that station and if so, what do you think of it now that its a few years later?

Last edited:
To start with I was looking at the less expensive units but found a few reviews that said heating units were marginal. I know this was said in a review of unit sold by Sparkfun. But not on their site.

I purchased a Xytronic 850D Hot Air SMD Desoldering from HEI

It is more money then the unit you are looking at but it seems to be a class act. The air comes up to temperature fast and there is lots of heat. Comes with a set of ~6 tweezers, chip popper and a spare heating element.

Mine was used to demo at a trade show and they sold it to me for a good price. The bracket that holds the hand piece was missing and they shipped me one lick-ity-split. Nice people to deal with.

You may want to call or email them to see if they have any of the demo units on hand.

3v0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back