Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone up for a spring contest here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok back to the topic ;) can someone do a recap of what has been sugested etc as its easy to loes track of where we are. one small point i am a newbie but the skill level thing dosnt realy bother me, the way i see it people are smart enough to work out who has "put the work in" and who hasnt, for exmple a newb could copy a kick ass project of the net and yet be a complete newb who dosnt actualy know what they have built. so if say i myself sudenly built a full blown oscilloscope for the project with know write up about it then anyone with common sense knows that i didnt come up with the project myself and i would obviously be marked down for it. however if i built say a nice functional volt meter that was all my own work then obviously i would have stretched my abillity to the limits and i would hope to get good marks for doing that.
i think most people have the sense to vote for projects on a wide range of criteria like origanality execution etc. anyway i dont mind competeing against anyone the way i see it i am a newb and wether i win or not dosnt matter, the fact i took part and learnt something and had a good time matters alot more to me. competitions enhance this site and make it stand out from the crowd, a prize is a great bonus but shouldnt be the main reason someone enters. come on guys lets just do it :D

I'm sorry... Who is this directed toward?

Off topic of course but I will claim it!:D

If you don't want an avalanche stop yodeling in the mountains.

I like it:)

This is actually the first time I've come across this saying.

The last one was I'll be back in 2 shakes of a lambs tail.

DerStrom8 said:
I'm sorry... Who is this directed toward?

There have been lots of people this would apply to, most of them are gone now though. I was gone for about 4 months, when I came back at least 4 people gone; because of what he's saying.

What I have been leaning toward is the open to anyone with anything type of contest where the judging is done by everyone based on whatever reasons they feel they chose who they chose. It gives the maximum range of entry's allowed and should promote the least conflicts with the way its being judged and who wins for what ever reason.

Sure the more experienced and professional entry's will win but thats sort of the reward the goes with the having put in the time and effort to learn to do what makes you a winner.
I am not one who is for the everyone wins and no one looses garbage they promote in school these days and feel that those who can do it the best deserve some honest recognition for it. :)

Your scrappy and you know it. :D

One persons pain in the ass is another's inspiration! :)

One persons pain in the ass is another's inspiration! :)

"I didn't get to the point of knowing everything that I do know by believing that I already know everything." -- tcmtech

Yes, I do believe this is painfully clear to everyone:)

There have been lots of people this would apply to, most of them are gone now though. I was gone for about 4 months, when I came back at least 4 people gone; because of what he's saying.

I understand that much, but it seemed somewhat out-of-place and directed toward someone specific. Just thought I'd ask to make sure. ;)

:rolleyes: just tell me what we are making when we are making it for what we are making it out of and how do i claim my prize :D did i mention i intend to win!!! :p

:rolleyes: just tell me what we are making when we are making it for what we are making it out of and how do i claim my prize :D did i mention i intend to win!!! :p

As far as I know its an open topic contest. Best whatever you make that everyone likes the most wins which means there is no reason you cant submit multiple things as well but to be fair you only get to win once. :)

As far as when its due how about the first day of spring, March 20, being its a spring competition of course which gives you a month to get something together. :)

Does that work for everyone?

Last edited:
As far as I know its an open topic contest. Best whatever you make that everyone likes the most wins which means there is no reason you cant submit multiple things as well but to be fair you only get to win once. :)

As far as when its due how about the first day of spring, March 20, being its a spring competition of course which gives you a month to get something together. :)

That sounds like a good date, though I'm probably not going to have much to submit by then. I guess that should be left up to people that are sure to participate ;)

TCM, I know you would have this done in um Maybe, I don't know 8hrs or less. But, for the brights out their in never, never land. They could use more time to simmer.

Whiskey, can age 25yrs. I won't try new. To sharp and tastes is bad. Smells like Rubbing Alcohol. Fall is better and will allow other folks to collect the components.

Edit: The Students who need time to collect will have time during the summer. Most likely they will be working on both the project and keeping up with there on going expenses.

Last edited:
Would the first day of summer, June 22, work better?
Or the first day of fall, August 22? :p

(March 20 is just Derstrom's due date since he is in such a hurry. :D)

At that time line I may have an entry of my own ready too. I have a solid state electromagnet controller for junk yard cranes I have been working on for a while almost done. By mid June I may have it installed and tested in a real world environment on a scrap metal crane at a friend's salvage yard.

Its a combination of digital PLR and high power analog plus a few recycled parts too.;)

Last edited:
(March 20 is just Derstrom's due date since he is in such a hurry. :D)

Hahaha. I'm not sure if I will have anything by March 20, which was your first suggestion, but June or August might work better for me. :)

The unlimited content, mob rules voting is probably the best way, I just never trusted the popular vote =) I wouldn't have a chance with an entry though, too busy with the house, but I'd definitely cast my vote.

The contest starting on the first day of spring and ending the first day of summer would be nice, I should have at least some moderate amount of free time at that point, at least over a few months to come up with a losing entry =). Keeping members interest in the contest over that length of time might be difficult with the average attention span of a forum visitor being.. ... ooo shiney...

I wasn't aware that most people needed a 4 month lead time on getting ready but I have no problem with putting the first day of spring, June 20, as an end date for entrys.

Personally I don't mind having it then either being it gives me so much more time to screw around until that last week when I would start my entry project anyway. :D

If ElectroMaster, or do we call him QuakeMaster now?, doesn't have a problem with the time line and no one else has any major gripes about it I don't see any reason why people cant start getting their ideas together and start working on their projects at any time. :)

(Except for Derstrom, He has two weeks to finish and submit his being I think he may be one of those who works best under high levels of pressure anyway. Oh and since he is playing with Tesla coils now his project has to be wireless power transmission. One KW at mile with 90% or better efficiency is expected.) :rolleyes::D

Last edited:
I don't need lead time, I'm in the middle of major home renovation and still trying to pull overtime at work while packing and moving to the house. I wouldn't hold the whole thing up on my account =)

Last edited:
(Except for Derstrom, He has two weeks to finish and submit his being I think he may be one of those who works best under high levels of pressure anyway. Oh and since he is playing with Tesla coils now his project has to be wireless power transmission. One KW at mile with 90% or better efficiency is expected.) :rolleyes::D

Hahaha! Very funny! ;) :D
If you're willing to buy the parts I need, I'm willing to give it a try! :D

Last edited:
I don't care what parts you buy that isn't possible =) Unless you're talking solar or galactic scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back