Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone seen an AC Solar generator? Thoughts on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you missed where it said,
Inventive Research’s Jason Oliver is credited with developing the patent-pending process to obtain and generate alternating current (AC) power directly from solar cells through the company’s AC Solar Generator, which works on the same principle as existing generators. It is the AC Solar Generator that has caught the interest of a number of companies who would like to develop the product for large-scale use.

Mike.

So it not only wastes energy driving the disks round, it also greatly reduces the output power of the solar panels by only illuminating them part of the time.

Sounds a really clever and useful invention - NOT! :p

Like I said, it's a PR website and data is 2009 or earlier, and I just found it in late 2010. Guess it did not catch on. :D

I guess it is back to using the DC directly (and batteries) and be done with it.

I didn't read past the "which works on the same principle as existing generators" so missed the really stupid bit. How thick are those guys?

Mike.

I just took a look at the link provided - I find it amazing that somebody could come up with something like that, and potentially get funding, yet someone else comes up with this scheme:

**broken link removed**

...which uses essentially off-the-shelf technology, yet you hear nothing. Heck, I would love to see a small-scale demonstrator made; the idea seems like it has merit to try it out, at least.

Oh - its also freely available - no licensing or anything needed.

Then again - maybe it has a "fatal flaw" like my "idea" for a completely solar-powered hydrogen energy plant near Barstow, CA (though no one has yet to tell me what the "fatal flaw" is - perhaps much like this guy's idea)?

I was watching "Bang Goes The Theory" last night (similar to Mythbusters), and one of them went to the French solar furnace.

As a demonstration they used an old German serchlight reflector (only 2.5m). and this focused only about 0.5m in front (shown by a water spray). The programme presenter flicked a piece of wood through the focus point, which instantly burst into flames. The French engineer with him said that this small dish will melt anything, and proceeded to melt a large steel bolt, and then a piece of granite!.

It was incredibly impressive!.

Years ago, I bought a 3'x3' fresnal lens that can take out a coin in 5-15 seconds. It's thin and can be rolled up and carried. I've not found anything else to do with it just yet. But it's amazing. It is also not something to leave outside unattended either. Will have to check ebay for old searchlight lenses.

I was going to mention that in the OP, but thought I would be nice. I was thinking scary too.

So it took him several years to figure out that if the solar panel cells are configured a certain way and are placed under a slotted shutter being spun by a synchronous motor it would produce AC power that would also be automatically synchronized with the AC power line frequency?

It took me longer to type this than to realize how that would work.:eek:

Last edited:
That AC solar panel has to be the stupidest invention ever.

**broken link removed**

Then again - maybe it has a "fatal flaw"

Fatal flaw is : why would the air go through the pipes instead of around the pipes ? If you short-circuit your load, will you get any power in your load ? No.

I guess that's why they build dams for hydro power plants instead of just putting pipes with a turbine in them in a river...

Last edited:
I guess that's why they build dams for hydro power plants instead of just putting pipes with a turbine in them in a river...

UMMMMM after doing a heap of research on hydro, there a heap of commercial hydro plants where pipes are placed in a river then diverted to power a hydro turbine then return the water back to the river at a lower level. 99.9% of homebrew micro-hydro builder use a pipe coming from a river to power their turbines at a site away from the river.

The same guy that invented the back burners for jet aircraft also invented a 4 stage hydro turbine that is so good it can do away with huge storage dams by simply using pipes to carry water from a greater height to power the turbine then another turbine down the hill will use the same water from the pipes. etc. Why hasn't this become mainstream well go figure.....

As far as AC out of a PV panel one doesn't need to read the article to realise the inventor is a fruitloop.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back