Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else miss the old smileys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Good day, everyone.

I was wondering if anyone else missed the old emoticons in the forum posts? I personally liked the bigger, colorful ones with goofier faces. It was easier to tell which was which.
Just curious if anyone else is feeling the same way I do :D

Regards,
Der Strom

Perhaps this happened to the old emoticons?

**broken link removed**

But I agree with Pommie, emoticons never pop up in code blocks.

I hadn't really noticed on this site... Electromaster must be a better programmer than in other sites I visit mainly tinyclr...They use code tags and smiley's are always displayed with the combination of char's.

Don't use them myself...

Perhaps my eye problem, I feel the new 'smiley's are rather invisible and failed to convey the actual expressions they're supposed to do.

For eg, following are 'wink' and 'biggrin' smileys(comparison): ;):D
'mad' smiley feels like an apple: :mad:
This one is like a lemon: :(

I think in the previous major upgrade, we've retained the older one's anyway...**broken link removed**

Perhaps my eye problem, I feel the new 'smiley's are rather invisible and failed to convey the actual expressions they're supposed to do.

That is exactly how I feel, too. I don't have an eye problem, and I still find it difficult to distinguish between them. I liked the old fashioned big grin **broken link removed**, wink **broken link removed**, etc. I wonder if we should take a poll, just to see what other people think. Does anyone second this?
Thanks for all the replies :)
Der Strom

Yuk!! I don't like them either. Must be the new Win 7 theme where everything seems blurry even after using the Windows cmd "cleartext" and optimizing. Black isn't black anymore.

Last edited:

Seems fine on my dual 30 inch HD LCD monitors! :D

Now if I could only get IE9 to put them where I want them without having to always cut and re paste them from the beginning top left hand point of the text window. :mad:

The new Greek symbols library is nice too! :)
Too bad I only know how to use " \pi " and "\Omega " properly. :eek:

Although it would appear that IE9 apparently does not. :p

Seems fine on my dual 30 inch HD LCD monitors!

Lucky bugga! I just bought 2 24" Dell's. I would like 2 30" :(

The new Greek symbols library is nice too! :)
Too bad I only know how to use " \pi " and "\Omega " properly. :eek:

Those are latex codes (they must go inbetween [ latex ] [ /latex ] commands) and unfortunately that library shouldn't have been there.. If you do want to play round wit them have a look at this thread:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/latex-math-equations.24256/

One thing I would like to see is an emotion's characters to produce the emotion in chat changed if possible. It happens pretty often where people type in 8) as part of code and it turns it into an annoying smiley, so I am wondering if you are able to add a slash in it or something so it is like :cool: which should stop it appearing in the middle of code blocks. If you did not wan't to do that you could also just change it so smiley could not be entered into code blocks if that made more sense,

Thanks, Dave

Last edited:
I don't like the present smilies. They're poor colour contrast (red on yellow....yuck) so difficult to distinguish. Let's have black/blue on yellow to improve their visibility!

@micrOman
Hi, from another Cardiffian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back