Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any Tesla Coil fans out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your plan is to run 2 in parallel then ? 02uv @ 20kv

Edit: The overall physical size seem ok, but then again do you want to eat up $24 or so shipping and handling on an experiment.

Edit:Edit: I didn't see the make offer "excellent"

I was actually only thinking of buying one and compensating for the loss of capacitance by tapping the primary in a different spot. And I think that $24 is a reasonable price to pay if the capacitor would definitely work with my tesla coil.

Remember you can make an offer. Give them $36.00 and take all of them.

Tap the primary with one cap and test it for a proof of concept. If it passes your expectations. Attempt a parallel using the full coil.

You can have 2 for backup or a second coil.

Remember you can make an offer. Give them $36.00 and take all of them.

Tap the primary with one cap and test it for a proof of concept. If it passes your expectations. Attempt a parallel using the full coil.

You can have 2 for backup or a second coil.

That is a good point. I might do that, but I want to be sure that these capacitors will actually work for a Tesla coil in the first place. Is there anyone that can give me a definite answer for this?
I greatly appreciate everyone's patience!

ReloadRon, is currently in the Chat Forum; looking at Designed for the Dump. Everybody else is offline. Maybe they will drop in sometime this weekend I'm sure they are following this Thread. It would be nice to hear from a few other member with experience on this subject.

These are the two styles I have used and had great results from. They are most often referred to as 'Doorknob capacitors'. **broken link removed**

and
**broken link removed**

They are non polar and have very low ESR values which is great for spark discharge type circuits. I also recommend going at least 2x over your NST's rated peak output voltage being if your primary circuits are not set up right they can get subjected to a load of HV spikes well past the NST's output voltage.

I would also highly recommend putting a fairly large ferrite core choke on your NST's outputs to greatly reduce the chance of internal flash over and permanent damage from any HF feedback as well.

These are the two styles I have used and had great results from. They are most often referred to as 'Doorknob capacitors'. **broken link removed**

and
**broken link removed**

They are non polar and have very low ESR values which is great for spark discharge type circuits. I also recommend going at least 2x over your NST's rated peak output voltage being if your primary circuits are not set up right they can get subjected to a load of HV spikes well past the NST's output voltage.

I've come across several Tesla coils (online) that use these, but I have somewhat shied away from them, myself, because of the price. I may eventually just break down and buy some, though, if I can't find a cheaper solution.

I would also highly recommend putting a fairly large ferrite core choke on your NST's outputs to greatly reduce the chance of internal flash over and permanent damage from any HF feedback as well.

This is in the plans. I have been wondering if you could use one of the coils of an MOT on each output of the NST to act as a choke, or if I should try something else. I ask because I already have a whole bunch of MOTs stashed away in the corner of my workshop somewhere. Would this work?

Last edited:
Price wise you get what you pay for and there is a reason the good well constructed spark gap Tesla coils use them.

I don't see why the secondary coils from your MOT would not work. I made mine from about 100 turns of 20 ga wire on old ferrite rods if I remember correctly. That didn't seem bother the HV at the AC line frequency but it did block the HF from going the wrong way.

I have also found torrid cores work good too being they just hang out in the open there is no need for any HV insulation or anything on them.

I would be curious to here what others have used to build them though. There seems to be many different ways of doing things other than how I built mine.

Here is a twofer: 2X 15KV .02uf and free shipping. Use one and resell the other :)

**broken link removed**

I think he is looking for Bi-polar for AC. If they were testing it with DC would it mean it's Bi-polar?

Good find though. Did you see the FREE Shipping and make a Bid Hmmm.

Last edited:
Here is a twofer: 2X 15KV .02uf and free shipping. Use one and resell the other :)

**broken link removed**

I think I did come across that already, but I'm a little leery about ordering things from China. I've heard about a lot of scams that originate there.

I think he is looking for Bi-polar for AC. If they were testing it with DC would it mean it's Bi-polar?

Good find though. Did you see the FREE Shipping and make a Bid Hmmm.

It's a polypropylene cap, which would make it ideal for a TC.

Last edited:
Okay, here I go again...
I found **broken link removed** one on ebay. The seller includes in the description that it can be used for a tesla coil, but a lot of people who say that have no idea what they are talking about. So, everybody, what do you think? Is it tesla coil worthy?
Many thanks!

EDIT: I see that it is rated for 20kV DC, but I don't believe it is polarized. However, I may easily be wrong ;)

I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. If you are concerned, you might try finding a TC forum and see if anyone uses these kind of caps. Otherwise, see if you can find a manufacture's datasheet. Thing to look at will be lifetime derating for frequency, surge current, etc.

He's probably spent money and been burned by the lack of supporting information like me. I still have 2 Flybacks mounted on some old zenith boards I paid $60 a piece, thinking they would work with what I'm doing. So, now I think I'm going to feed them an input to the H.O.T from a good regulated power source and tap the output spark gap it to Neutral.

I don't need a TC, just a small spark gap will do.

I just use old ignition coils. They never fail to work.

OH, and take it from me; do not use a regulated power supply for your HV experiments.

Last edited:
Ok, I thought that's all a Television uses. It there some sort of comparator reference an LLC or something?

I meant "automotive" ignition coil, the thing that makes your spark pulgs spark.

I meant "automotive" ignition coil, the thing that makes your spark pulgs spark.

Yes, I'm very :ahem: experienced with it. Especially when you try to get a spark plug on your lawnmower to spark to see if the Magneto is generating and your not properly ground the plug.

O, that bites

Edit: Oh, and yes I have been bit by a coil too!

Last edited:
Don't mean to be condenscending. I never know what someone's automotive experience is.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. If you are concerned, you might try finding a TC forum and see if anyone uses these kind of caps. Otherwise, see if you can find a manufacture's datasheet. Thing to look at will be lifetime derating for frequency, surge current, etc.

Thanks, BrownOut. This is very helpful :) I just joined 4HV, so I hope to be able to get some help, there.
Many thanks!
Der Strom

None taken. I was talking TV and you were talking Automobiles. Tomato - Tomahto.

I grew up around reciprocating machines. Be they combustibles or compression. Not much experience with rotatory, except with refrigeration compressors.

At 13yrs old I was replacing brakes and doing small repair in my Uncles Automotive Repair Shop. The first motor I tore apart was a 5hp Briggs and Stratton. I was 9yrs old and I used cheater bars because I wasn't strong enough to loosen the bolts :p

Edit: I gotta get going. Thanks for all your input I'm learning a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back