Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another pair of eyes needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilimike

My project consists in two 12V car batteries, B1 is only measured via voltage divider through ADC of Arduino.
B2 is measured in the same way but is also feeding switching regulator that provides 5V to Arduino and current sensor.

The load to sense by the current sensor is a 12 Volts motor (a few Amps) power by B2.

There are other input and output devices (not showing on my drawing) but basically LEDs and switches.

The motor and batteries sensing are all OK as well as all other I/Os but when the motor starts and stop it is falsly triggering other I/Os

How can I resolve this?
BatFeed.JPG

The problem is likely caused either by transients on the power line (add more decoupling capacitors) or transients on the ground due to the motor ground current going through the circuit ground (the motor should have a separate ground return to the battery).

What do you mean "false triggering"?

The problem is likely caused either by transients on the power line (add more decoupling capacitors) or transients on the ground due to the motor ground current going through the circuit ground (the motor should have a separate ground return to the battery).

What do you mean "false triggering"?

I have an I/O that get's triggered from a transistor switch (water sensor) when the motor was stopping that I/O was triggering although no water detected, however I have rewired the ground from the motor directly to the battery as you suggested and more testing will confirm but it appears to behave much better.

4pyros
Thanks for the link, I don't really want to mess on the motor's side as it is a sealed bilge pump.

If I was to add a decoupling cap would a 0.1u be best placed in parallel next to D1?
Edit: and maybe another one at the Arduino supply?

I have an I/O that get's triggered from a transistor switch (water sensor) when the motor was stopping that I/O was triggering although no water detected, however I have rewired the ground from the motor directly to the battery as you suggested and more testing will confirm but it appears to behave much better.

4pyros
Thanks for the link, I don't really want to mess on the motor's side as it is a sealed bilge pump.

If I was to add a decoupling cap would a 0.1u be best placed in parallel next to D1?
Edit: and maybe another one at the Arduino supply?
Yes and yes

You can just use a software switch debouncing/digital-filter routine to reject the false triggers.

You can just use a software switch debouncing/digital-filter routine to reject the false triggers.
My issue was not related to a bouncing switch, I had the motor on one sensing ADC trigger another I/O but I believe rewiring the ground fixed the problem.

My issue was not related to a bouncing switch, I had the motor on one sensing ADC trigger another I/O but I believe rewiring the ground fixed the problem.
It's better to do as you've done and remove the source of the interference. The debounce/digital-filter is useful when you can't remove the source of the interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back