Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analogue Dub Siren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not be more thankful!
I also bought the opa2134 .
Will be fun to compare them
No probs Rorut- bit of therapy for me.

If you have a HiFi signal the OPA2134 will sound excellent.:cool:

spec

Im using that opa2134 for the music coming from the dj mixer to the delay. Sirens can stay with the Lm358 that you said would do the job :)

Wired it up but nothing happens just a huuummm :) anything I can measure to se whats wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_4183.JPG
    IMG_4183.JPG
    924.5 KB · Views: 139
Wired it up but nothing happens just a huuummm :) anything I can measure to se whats wrong?
Oh dear. I hope the opamps are not oscillating. C1 (100nF) should be mounted as close as possible to the supply pins on the chip, with as short leads as possible, to provide good supply line decoupling. One dodge is to place the decoupling capacitor across the top of the chip and solder the leads to the top of the chip pins.

What supply voltage are you using?

Turn the 100K potentiometers to minimum (voltage gain of 1)

Measure the supply voltage and 0V actually on the pins of the chip

Measure the voltage at the junction of two pairs of 220K resistors: should be half the supply voltage.

All inputs and outputs of the opamps should at the same voltage as the respective junctions of the 220K resistors.

Good luck

spec

(PS hate to say this but the breadboard layout may be a problem)

Last edited:
thanks spec! :)
I get a amplified sound on the lower channel of the circuit.
gain pot does not do much but level do

supply voltage 12v

pin1: 10.8v
pin2: 10.8v
pin3: 11.9v
pin4: 0
pin5: 5.9v
pin6: 5.9v
pin7: 5.9v
pin8: 12v

:facepalm:

thanks spec! :)
I get a amplified sound on the lower channel of the circuit.
gain pot does not do much but level do

supply voltage 12v

pin1: 10.8v
pin2: 10.8v
pin3: 11.9v
pin6: 5.9v
pin7: 5.9v

:facepalm:

Pins 1, 2 & 3 are incorrect. looks like there is a problem with the voltage at the junction of the two 220K resistors...wrong value?

spec

Happy to know where the problem is :) Explains why only one channel is working. Resistor values are correct. I probably connected the resistors wrong.
Need some sleep and will give it a second try tomorrow. And practice a bit more on breadboard layout :D
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Happy to know where the problem is :) Explains why only one channel is working. Resistor values are correct. I probably connected the resistors wrong.
Need some sleep and will give it a second try tommorow. And practice a bit more on breadboard layout :D
Thank you very much!
No probs Rorut- have a good sleep and all will fall into place tomorrow.:)

Are you testing with an LM358? An LM358 would be best to get the circuit going.

Do not worry about hum at this stage. It would be very surprising if there was no hum.:D

Just to give you a clue, an opamp has a typical low frequency voltage gain of one million which means that just one microvolt at one of the input pins will result in a volt out. You can induce one microvolt on to an opamp pin by just looking at it.:arghh:

spec

Last edited:
The messy wires and rows of contacts on a solderless breadboard are antennas that pickup mains hum that is all around you. The contacts might be intermittent.

I found the problem at first sight today :). Had the both pins of a 220k resistor connected to IC pin3. Now I get sound on both channels. No hum at all, (2.2uF removed some little hum) Moved that 100nF closer to pin 8.

But... How impressed should I be? Gain control does barely do nothing. Level control can adjust sound to zero and to max. Everything at max gives not very much amplification. Almost the same as the first circuit "inverted" I posted.
Why is gain doing almost nothing, maybe I connected something else wrong?
Im working with the cheaper LM358

Happy I got sound :)

Last edited:
I found the problem at first sight today :). Had the both pins of a 220k resistor connected to IC pin3. Now I get sound on both channels. No hum at all, (2.2uF removed some little hum) Moved that 100nF closer to pin 8.

But... How impressed should I be? Gain control does barely do nothing. Level control can adjust sound to zero and to max. Everything at max gives not very much amplification. Almost the same as the first circuit "inverted" I posted.
Why is gain doing almost nothing, maybe I connected something else wrong?

Im working with the chesper LM358

Happy I got sound :)

Ha Ha, good news.

The amplifiers should produce a voltage gain of x 1 (with gain potentiometer set to zero Ohms) and x 100 (with gain set potentiometer set to 100K) I suspect the gain set potentiometers (PR1) are 1K instead of 100K or the 1K fixed resistors (R3) are 100K.

spec

Last edited:
Ha Ha, good news.

The amplifiers should produce a voltage gain of x 1 (with gain potentiometer set to zero Ohms) and x 100 (with gain set potentiometer set to 100K) I suspect the gain set potentiometers (PR1) are 1K instead of 100K or the 1K fixed resistors (R3) are 100K.

spec
Yes :)
Measured pots are 100K and resistors are 1K. So values are correct. Wierd... any other ideas?
:)

Last edited:
Yes :)
Measured pots are 100K and resistors are 1K. So values are correct. Wierd... any other ideas?
:)
Are the lower ends of the 1K resistors connected to 0V via the 4.7uF capacitors?

Are the 4.7uF capacitors the correct value?

Are the 4.7uf capacitors the correct way around?

What is the voltage on the positive connection of the 4.7uF capacitors (should be around 5.9V)?

22uF, or higher, capacitors in place of the 4.7uF capacitors would be more suitable: lower frequency response (but not connected with the fault)

spec

Last edited:
Yes to all.
Voltage on 4.7uF is 6.5v, changed to 33uF but no luck. (Maybe sound quality got better with te 33uF. but not sure about that one) :)
When i use the 100K trim pot. Nothing happens to volume. Tone of the sound only changes slightly...
It is like it is bending the tone in some frequencies on the gain pot

pin1: 5.2v
pin2: 5.2v
pin3: 5.9v
pin6: 5.8v
pin7: 5.8v

Last edited:
Voltage on 4.7uF is 6.5v This is wrong- should be the same as pin 1 & 2 or pin 5 & 6

pin1: 5.2v
pin2: 5.2v
pin3: 5.9v This is odd should be same as pin 1 & 2
pin6: 5.8v
pin7: 5.8v

What meter are you using. Is it a digital multimeter. Can you establish what the input resistance is from the manual: sshould be around 10M Ohms.

It looks as though the opamps are oscillating, but not sure.

spec

When disconnecting the siren that shares the same power source I get.
pin1: 6.06v
pin2: 6.06v
pin3: 5.99v
pin5:5.98v
pin6: 6.06v
pin7: 6.06v

Using a UNI-T 139C multimeter

Of course it is oscillating. It is built on a solderless breadboard.

When disconnecting the siren that shares the same power source I get.
pin1: 6.06v
pin2: 6.06v
pin3: 5.99v
pin5:5.98v
pin6: 6.06v
pin7: 6.06v

Using a UNI-T 139C multimeter
Thanks. That is all good.:cool:

I will have a think.

spec