Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"America was discovered by Columbus???"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

What is mean by Columbus found America first? Was America empty then before his discovery? All current Americans were migrated from Europe, Africa, Asia etc? If not then how they said America was discovered?

Indian Chief.jpg

Big Chief says:

"We found America long before the European White Trash came and spoilt it!"

JimB

Are you asking that seriously?!

Long time before that "discovery" happened, the whole America from Ushuaia to Alaska was populated. Lot of people actually.

That "discovery" as it is mentioned is simply from an european (?), occidental (?) point of view. In other words, said by who wrote the book.

There is a book titled "Ricci discovers China". He was a jesuit that lived in China in year 1500++. Would you ask a similar question?

Yes, I am seriously asking. When I was child I taught as a GK (EDIT: GK=General Knowledge)- "Columbus discovered America". And till now I read/heard/watched nothing about it.

Last edited:
Yes, I am seriously asking. When I was child I taught "Columbus discovered America" as a GK. And till now I read/heard/watched nothing about it.

GK? :(

It is a falsehood. Columbus did NOT "discover" America. However, the continent was unknown to the Europeans before Columbus accidentally ran into it. He thought it was India, which is why Native Americans (the original inhabitants of America) were referred to as "Indians".

@ the others who replied, Willen is from Asia, in case you didn't notice, so his question was a perfectly reasonable one. No need to bite his head off :p

Regards,
Matt

There's also Willen's Sig line to consider...
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. -Einstein

Columbus gets the blame for many things. It must have taken several people to spoil IT.

Don't forget that Columbus also butchered many, many people. What he did would be considered a genocide by today's terms. I say he deserves the bad rap he gets.

Hey Willen, hola!

I am conscious that you live in Nepal.

Here is the link to the facsimil of his letter to the Queen describing his arrival to what we now know as "America" (las Indias, in Spanish).

Nowhere there he mentions "discovery". Even more, inhabitants are mentioned upfront. After all, he left port of Palos to find a way to reach "las Indias" not to discover anything.

Here you have a picture taken when they went ashore for the first time. Not sure if it was by CNN....

Colón.jpg

A very similar story exist about Australia. If you do a search it's all about when Europeans landed in Aus and Cook claimed it for England in 1770. The original inhabitants the aborigines are thought to have colonized the land some 40-70,000 years earlier. As said above, the victors write the history books.

BTW, here in Australia it would be unthinkable to have a car called a Holden Aboriginal, so why is it ok to have a Jeep Cherokee? :eek:

Mike.

Oh yes, DerStrom8 made me much more clear!

Then... 'India' became famous to America. I think so the original Americans known as 'red Indians'. I guess they are real Americans but I guess they are little back in development and progress. How it happened?

Here in the forum (ETO) I found lots of Americans, do you know about your history? Were you migrated (hundreds of years ago) from non-american (Europe etc) country? Or are you also 'red Indians'? Can you assume how many percent of American are genuine and how many were migrated from Europe etc? America seems interesting! :)

Last edited:
BTW, here in Australia it would be unthinkable to have a car called a Holden Aboriginal, so why is it ok to have a Jeep Cherokee? :eek:
Calling a car "aboriginal" would be kind of stupid. Naming a car after a tribe is more of an honor than insult.
Maybe you could name a car "Holden Eora" in Australia.
And it would be kind of stupid name a car "Jeep Native American".

For me, genealogy has been traced back to the Mayflower and Ellis Island.

I saw the name scribbled on this monument http://ctmonuments.net/2010/08/national-monument-to-the-forefathers-plymouth-mass/ so it may or may not be the Mayflower.

Interesting last paragraph there:

"The Pilgrims are also honored with a monument in Provincetown, Mass., that was dedicated in 1910. The Pilgrims originally landed in Provincetown, but after five weeks, decided the far end of Cape Cod would be better suited for T-shirt shops and restaurants than for farming. The group then migrated west to the more-sheltered area that became Plymouth." :wideyed:

But Wait a second, Isnt there also evidence that vikings might have found America before Columbus?
Indeed there is, and the fine chap depicted in the statue in your link is credited with being the guy who did it. At least in Iceland he is!

Drifting the thread a bit (sorry), the church behind the statue in the link above, is the most fantastic piece of architecture.
It is at the top of a hill in Reykjavik and to see it is just WOW!!!

THREAD_DRIFT OFF/

JimB

Oh yes, DerStrom8 made me much more clear!

Then... 'India' became famous to America. I think so the original Americans known as 'red Indians'. I guess they are real Americans but I guess they are little back in development and progress. How it happened? :)

Hola Willen,

Be aware of this: people living in USA refer to themselves as "americans". The rest of us, basically in all Latin America, we know we are "americans" because we live in the continent that we call América, whether "Sudamérica" "América Central" or "Norteamérica" but we use to refer to ourselves the nationality that corresponds to the country of origin. In my case, for good or for bad, I am "argentino".

So, if you refer to "Americans", depending who reads it, could have a different meaning. So, again , "original Americans" could mean something completely different for who reads it.

Just for your reference, if you search with time and patiente, from Ushuaia to Alaska there were many different cultures at the moment the Spaniards came to this side of the Atlantic for the first time ("discovery" as it is called).

From the top of my head in no specific order, search for:

diaguitas
aimarás
toltecas
olmecas
comechingones
onas
athabascan
charrúas (we are known by the use of the expresion "che", coming from their language)
guaraníes
tainos
araucanos
tehuelches
mayas
iroquoi
pilagás
cherokee

I could go further. There should be about 50 to 70 more that I mostly could not recall. Most of them were NOT "red".

And yes, it seems that the Bering stratit was probably the first access to these lands. And that was many many years ago. According to what I read, along the centuries, people moved slowly South down to Ushuaia.

Last edited:
Indeed there is, and the fine chap depicted in the statue in your link is credited with being the guy who did it. At least in Iceland he is!

Drifting the thread a bit (sorry), the church behind the statue in the link above, is the most fantastic piece of architecture.
It is at the top of a hill in Reykjavik and to see it is just WOW!!!

THREAD_DRIFT OFF/

JimB
Jim, could you post the actual link to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back