Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternatives to FT232RL

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakie

Looking for a cheap DIL alternative to the FT232RL... Anyone got any ideas?

I can only find expensive alternatives... $8 each :eek:

Looking for a cheap DIL alternative to the FT232RL... Anyone got any ideas?

I can only find expensive alternatives... $8 each :eek:
Microchip has a new part MCP2200, of course you have the pleasure of adding a crystal and caps. Why Microchip can't get an internal USB crystal going is beyond me. Thought I had one in my last order, but looks like I forgot...oh well:rolleyes:.

Right, a DIP package. A 18f14k50 18 pin dip USB chip for $2, plus the 12Mhz crystal and caps, plus another .47uf cap. Download the free version of Microchip C18, MPLAB, and latest USB framework, and solutions folder. Now burn the USB CDC pre-compiled hex file (set at fixed baud rate of 19,200 I think). How much was that alternative?, and how do you value your time?

make a small TSSOP to dip adopter should not cost $8
consider pic18F2550 (28pin dip) with suitable software would help realising usb management
cost is approx same as FT232RL
if you need a new design , better use Tssop FT232RL or vinculum ( a newer chip from FTDI)
see link **broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have made my requirements a little clearer.

1) I am building a board I intend to produce quite a few of. Some people who may want this board will want to solder it, but I want to avoid SMD due to the stigma surrounding the soldering these sort of packages. DIP seems to be a much more marketable option. Sometimes I will need to hand-solder these boards myself... so I want to keep them as simple as possible.

2) Price is a factor because I intend to sell kits and need to keep my costs down.

3) I am basically trying to find an alternative to the ft232tl chip used on an arduino but which will give it the same capabilities. Full speed USB 2.0 etc...

So far... I think the best option is 18f14k50. What will the computer recognise this chip as? Is it possible to make it run faster.

Please guys... if you feel I am overlooking the benefits of your own offerings, please let me know your thoughts :)

Peace

Last edited:
MCP2200 - only smd
FT232RL breakouts - i need quite a few chips and it isnt as marketable with a third party board involved
18f14k50 - sounds ok, though requiring programming could make this troublesome
pic18F2550 - again, requires programming.
vinculum - only smd

is there no ready-out-of-the-box dip usb package available???

Last edited:
If this is to be a kit style biz, or product, I'd definitely just use the standard ft232rl chip. Its well known, reliable, and requires little in real-estate and complexity. I'm sure it could be marketed as a more "advanced" kit with one SMD component. I'm sure if the product is good, it will still sell. Of course, you could also offer a version with all parts except the ft232rl already soldered in place, doing your own reflow or even hand solder of it.

I've soldered a few ft232rl's to boards, they are not that difficult (Much easier than the FPGA's I'v hand soldered).

I just see using a part that needs programming and extra components as a way to eliminate one nice clean component to be not worth the effort and "tech support calls" that may result. Of course it all depends on your target audience, but I'd think anyone that could build a usb part, and program it properly using DIP components, probably wouldn't have much issue with a low pin count SMD part either.

Good luck on your project, and make sure to let us know when you get something out the door!

Also, if you do end up finding a DIP usb to ttl chip, PLEASE let us know, I just don't know of anything myself.

Here are my experiences with the MCP2200: Digital Electronics Forum • View topic - MCP-2200 USB Adapter for the TAP-28
It is a surface mount part, but cheaper than the FTDI and it works "out of the box."

The other Microchip options will require loading code. If you're adding a USB-serial adapter so that a bootloader can be used, this is a problem.

Another alternative is to use a USB - TTL-serial cable. Here are two choices that are competitive in price to the FTDI chip: Digital Electronics Forum • View topic - A Nice UART - USB Adapter

While being so, i feel it is not that effective as FT232RL. the later allows a user to configure a full fledged RS232 from usb. this facility is at times helpful instead of only two wires i.e., Tx and Rx
a clear example is application of FT232RL in software defined radio by Burkhard kainka, vide an article of Elektor May2007

I fear such wide applicability is not there on MCP2200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back