Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Alternative fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nhjummyyy.

I'll walk from now on.
Until people starts to analyse my internal combustion engine, that is.:)

As Nigel said you should not make that conclusion. It is back to what vrs how much. Even a 99,9 % efficent engine can generate nasty things from the .1% of unburned fuel. Since these unwanted byproducts are in gasious form they are many times greater the the volumn of liquid petro they were produced from.

Modern cats are a very good thing. They along with computer controled engines have done a lot to clean up automotive exhaust. So much so that I think most of the poplution you now see in US cities are from sources other then cars. Check on that prior to quoting it.

Thanks 3v0.
That is interesting.

So my conclusion is that the IC engines are not as efficient in its combustion as they claim.
Otherwise the cat would not be required.

3v0, you make a strong point.

I also believe the car is not the biggest criminal in the saga, but it is a good place to start, or maybe the most convenient.
But things like antiquated power stations and volcano's are much more to blame.
Come to think of it, no one has latched out against trucks that much, nor ships that run of diesel, surely those are bigger polluters than cars also.
But those things carry any country's economy.

Again, we fall flat on the guy named politics.

P.S. I possibly can argue trucks of the list as well.

Prior to the mid 70's cars were a major if not the major source. I am not sure where trucks stand, I know they are working on the problem.

One source is electric power generation. In the US they have been allowed to buy up old "polluting" cars and crush them instead of cleaning up their own act. I suspect that most of these cars were at or near the end of their service life and the crushing had little impact on pollution numbers. I do not think there are enough of these cars out there to play that game anymore. They will either have to shape up or find another game to play.

3v0, you make a strong point.

I also believe the car is not the biggest criminal in the saga, but it is a good place to start, or maybe the most convenient.
But things like antiquated power stations and volcano's are much more to blame.
Come to think of it, no one has latched out against trucks that much, nor ships that run of diesel, surely those are bigger polluters than cars also.
But those things carry any country's economy.

Again, we fall flat on the guy named politics.

P.S. I possibly can argue trucks of the list as well.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what it reduces, I think it might be CO2 - it's listed on my MOT certificate, but I can't say I paid any attention.

No they do not reduce CO2, if anything theyt increase it.

Catalytic converters use a platinum catalist that cause harmful gasses like nitrogen and oxides to break up and from nitrogen and oxygen and carbon monoxide to react with oxygen to form CO2.

I've heard that because the limit the exhaust's efficiency, they reduce the overall efficiency of the engine which increases CO2 emissions.

3v0, that could very well be, unfortunately we still have a crap load of such old skedonks on our roads. so we're not helping the case in point.

Some locals have made studies which shows trucks pushing out like way more CO2 than cars, now all kids believe trucks are evil.
I actually loved the test, they had a little 1300 VW Golf compared to a huge freaking double rear axle truck. It is laughable.
The truck has like a 15 000 cc V8 engine compared to the golf's 1300 cc 4 cylinder engine.
The golf tipped the scales at about 780 kg, the truck at almost 8 tons.
That said the golf could muster just more than 10 km/l of petrol consumed, the truck only 3.1 km/l on diesel.
I truly believe, due to these findings we should ban all heavy vehicles and revert back to horse and cart.

Our old trucks, which all have in excess of 2 million km on the clock return from 2.4km/l to 2.7km/l.
Not fun with our current diesel prices.

idiot. your insecurity and willingness to blame other people for what? CO2 emissions? or any kind of emissions for that matter, mostly comes from volcanoes. also, when plants/trees are starved for water they have a reverse photosynthesis. instead of absorbing co2 and emitting O2, they wind up emitting co2.

idiot. your insecurity and willingness to blame other people for what? CO2 emissions? or any kind of emissions for that matter, mostly comes from volcanoes. also, when plants/trees are starved for water they have a reverse photosynthesis. instead of absorbing co2 and emitting O2, they wind up emitting co2.

It is funny that you should call someone an idiot and in the same breath make a completly uninformed statement showing your complete misunderstanding of plant biology.

WTF is reverse photosynthesis? Does the plant shoot out light beams?

I suspect your are refering to C4 plants like sugarcane, corn and the grass family. These plants preface the calvin cycle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_cycle with an alternate mode of carbon fixation. These types of plants are common in high temp dry areas. They are able to close the stomata where their CO² levels drop and their O² levels rise.
By storing the CO² in their mesophyll they are still able to produce ATP with minimal photorespiration.

Last edited:
CO2 emissions? or any kind of emissions for that matter, mostly comes from volcanoes.
Please cite your source for this info. Do not include bogus blog sites or such, rather science journals.
I do not think there is enough volcanoes spewing gas to even compare to the other emissions produced in the world, in fact your uniformed banter is more gas spewing than all the active volcanoes. **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Ssshhh… He’s a True Believer. They tend to get really annoyed when pesky little things like facts get in their way.

Last edited:
Hey MikeBits.
I've also heard that volcano's release a tremendous amount of pollutants and toxins into the air, but, and here is the key, only when erupting.
So how many volcano's have erupted the last week you know of, okay, what about the last month? Get my point.
Yet, if that is the case, we can not do anything about it. We have to accept that as one, or a few, for the other team, that is, it counts against us.

But here's the thing.
We can research better methods to control our direct emission's. That would include cars, trucks, trains (somewhere), ships, power plants, factories, furnaces, etc.
Where ever we can improve these vital systems, we have to. How else will our children one day be able to live on this planet.

I think that would be the function of the topic "Alternative Energy", one which we are currently discussing in. But, that in itself seems to be a direct violation (pun intended) of thought process for certain individuals, who have bursted into this thread bringing only low flung insults, etc.

Hope this post is simple enough for them to understand, if they should read it.

Define your meaning of idiot ?

Arrie, you are not an idiot, I wanted to see how many idiots there really are

Is this what you want to say about other's ?

"Idiot" was originally created to refer to "layman, person lacking professional skill", "person so mentally deficient as to be incapable of ordinary reasoning"

or this

In 19th and early 20th century medicine and psychology, an "idiot" was a person with a very severe mental retardation, or a very low IQ level, as a sufferer of cretinism, defining idiots as people whose IQ were below 20 (with a standard deviation of 16).

Cool Thanks. I think you need a smiley. :)

kv

Last edited:
Aha...
Back to what this thread started discussing, fuel from waste, using my favourite principle, pyrolysis or hydrous pyrolysis.

Check out this link:

https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article.php?a_id=138875

I see they also refer to another company in the UK, something for Nigel. These guys actually "employ" Prestige thermal, a South African co.

Can you believe it. Can a South African take the lead in something for a change.
Wonder if they will offer me a job?

Check into it.

Aha...
Back to what this thread started discussing, fuel from waste, using my favourite principle, pyrolysis or hydrous pyrolysis.

Check out this link:

https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article.php?a_id=138875

I see they also refer to another company in the UK, something for Nigel. These guys actually "employ" Prestige thermal, a South African co.

Can you believe it. Can a South African take the lead in something for a change.
Wonder if they will offer me a job?

Go at least take a look at what their doing.

I wanna know.

And their is a little swimmer that's making some waves in the headlines at the Olympics.

Go South Africa........ kv:D

I just got their contact details, mmmmmm

Maybe I'll share a bit of my ideas, and they'll offer me a good job.

Really, who's that, Ryk Neetling maybe. All I can think of.

I think they would be lucky to have you.

I just got their contact details, mmmmmm

Maybe I'll share a bit of my ideas, and they'll offer me a good job.

Really, who's that, Ryk Neetling maybe. All I can think of.

I'm not much for names of people it was late I was tired.

But I think it was this one I ripped it of the net.

Penny Heyns is undoubtedly one of South Africa’s favourite daughters and arguably the greatest female breaststroke swimmer of all time.

In March 1996 Penny Heyns broke the World Record for the ladies 100m Breaststroke at the SA National Championships in Durban.
At the Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, Penny Heyns again broke the World Record in the women’s 100m Breaststroke and won the Gold Medal in both the women’s 100m and 200m breaststroke. In doing so she also broke the Olympic Record in the Women’s 100m and 200m Freestyle.
During the Goodwill Games held in New York in July 1998 Penny Heyns stormed into new world records by becoming the first World Record holder in the 50m Breaststroke in a time of 30.95. Previously this distance had not been recognised by FINA for official World Records only previous best times were recorded.
As if that was not enough Penny went on to break even more world records including the ones she had set. At some point she broke 8 New World Records in 11 consecutive swims.

I could be wrong but this sounds like her.

I think that living of shore with the fastest Great White Sharks on the planet would make anybody a faster swimmer. :D

kv

Speaking about CO2 Emissions, How much CO2 is produced by the 8 Billion people in this world that just breath?

And no one is stopping population increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back