Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advantages of Manhattan Style Circuit Boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

I will be planning on building this circuit Manhattan Style...... https://www.qrpme.com/docs/K7QO Manhattan.pdf

This is the circuit, I think if I build it this way and then box in the "SG3525" I can reduce any RF that might be injected into the Mosfets.

**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
A lengthy article on 'dead bug', or as some same ugly style, albeit the author did manage to make his boards reasonably tidy.

RF being injected into the fets isnt your main concern if your worried about rfi, its more ringing of the coil and ringing of the stray inductance/capacitance around the fet, allthough heavy wiring and a pcb acting as a ground plane will improve things.
If you place a cap accross the primary to make the circuit resonant at the '2525' switching freq rfi will be much reduced, as will current draw.

A lengthy article on 'dead bug', or as some same ugly style, albeit the author did manage to make his boards reasonably tidy.

RF being injected into the fets isnt your main concern if your worried about rfi, its more ringing of the coil and ringing of the stray inductance/capacitance around the fet, allthough heavy wiring and a pcb acting as a ground plane will improve things.
If you place a cap accross the primary to make the circuit resonant at the '2525' switching freq rfi will be much reduced, as will current draw.

You think I can just drop that 1uF MKP across the primary or do I need consider a different Cap as well as a different Microfarad?

Some months ago I built a high bandwith discrete amplifier (Dick Capels). For experimenting in that line I used it several times after.

Found it easy. A good thing is that you can somehow mimic the schematic.

Sole problem and not precisely related with electronics: is common and very practical to use super glue to keep pads in position. Better you make sure where you want them. No chances to repent or being creative at the very last moment. No way!

Drawing in a paper more or less to scale (of components size) worked well for me. Point is that if you need more space, you should have to add another piece of copper clad.

Extra non-told benefit: when you show your work, ugly as it could be, nobody could say anything. It was declared as such from the start!!

Could you show a picture when done?

Buena suerte.

You need to tune it too the osc freq, if you can measure the coils inductance use one of the online lc resonance calulators to work out what cap you need, putting a pot on the oscillator within the '3525 is also good, you can then tune the freq for min current draw, ie tuned to resonance.

Last edited:
Some months ago I built a high bandwith discrete amplifier (Dick Capels). For experimenting in that line I used it several times after.

Found it easy. A good thing is that you can somehow mimic the schematic.

Sole problem and not precisely related with electronics: is common and very practical to use super glue to keep pads in position. Better you make sure where you want them. No chances to repent or being creative at the very last moment. No way!

Drawing in a paper more or less to scale (of components size) worked well for me. Point is that if you need more space, you should have to add another piece of copper clad.

Extra non-told benefit: when you show your work, ugly as it could be, nobody could say anything. It was declared as such from the start!!

Could you show a picture when done?

Buena suerte.

Thanks, I will do a Picture when I'm finished. I will also present a Drawing for you to approve or make suggestions; seeing this will be my first time. However, for speed to complete this project and prove this circuit and perform due diligence. I will do it both on a Stripboard as well as Perfboard. Then afterward, I will take my time and do it Manhattan.

Last edited:
I have a similar meter only cheaper, and its excellent I use it very often.
I dont know that particular model but it looks ok.
You'll no doubt get warnings of their cheapness and lack of protection, but if it means having one or not, have one.

Seems like a pretty cool way to make boards quick.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back