Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjustable AC voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
what values you mean? R1 is 470ohm/1w

Hi,

That's probably too high of a value. The 2N3055 doesnt have enough gain for that. You can estimate the base current with Ib=19/R1.
You'll also have to make sure it has the proper power rating.

What about the other resistor,on the emitter, what it that value?

welll that resitor on the emitter is what i meant for inductors load point, sorry i meant to use coil marking but used resistor :D

hey again, i did some changes to circuit, and load is only amp meter
i did notice one thing: at first, current doesnt change at all, then it starts to change pretty quickly, is this because of 2.2 voltage drop caused by transitors?
should i use this current adjustment, or what i hope, do you have better solution? :S
https://i45.tinypic.com/bhgh01.png

yes i know that now :D i dont intend using breadborad anymore to this project, but what is god way to apply adjustable current
should i stick to this schematic? sorry alll this back-forth questioning :S
https://i45.tinypic.com/zxmlud.gif

Hi again,

Well you really have to show the values of the components. A MOSFET might be harder to control in this config, but it might work to some degree.

Hello again,

Get rid of the MOSFET, use a bipolar.

Yup, my vote goes to a variac. I recently got one (a friend of mine was very generous and gave it to me ) and I love it! It's just a big variable transformer--that's all it is. You can find them on ebay for about $30-$70 USD (about 23€-55€). Of course, that'd be a very simple, low-current (maybe 5-amp) variac. It'll work for simple projects--might be worth looking into.

Hi,

Oh yeah variacs are nice. I had a big one long time ago. Now i just have a very small one.

i would buy one if i could afford one :) and i should buy it abroad, haven't seen any available in Finland, only i have used is at school at therefore under use....

Hi,

Well they are a little expensive too so maybe not worth it unless you have to use it every day or something.

Sorry i had lots of stuff going on, school and all, so i couldnt focus much on this project.... but, if you could help me with simple matter. its about this circuit you posted
**broken link removed**

i know the basic idea behind this circuit, BUT, what purpose is for that potentiometer(?) in the ref voltage place? does that determine how much op amp will drive transitor to produce reguired voltage to inverting input via R1?

Hi,

Sets the current of the output.

ok, i processed some with this project. now, the problem is thermal runaway of the transistor, if i got it right: more current->more heat->more current->more heat.....until transistor is overheated, or PSU's fuse will blow (unlikely?) i thinked about this problem, and i thought about more cooling (bigger heatsink, fan, or even thermal shut-off) but, i thought i should ask here too, so is there any workaround in this problem? i could add extra transitor in paraller with exicting one to inrease amperage handling, but this involves adding some cind of small resistance resistors in transitors emitters to balance current between transitors. but, what do you think for solution?

no worries anymore, i got it stabilized, found circuits and other help form google :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back