Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Additional symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOne

Beside the Emoticons, I think it will be nice to also have a set of Engineering symbols (used by some other forums) available to use where formulas often enter into a discussion.

Below is an example of what may be handy in the future.

Attachments

• symbols1.gif
    symbols1.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,815
yeah, symbols would be cool, I think the greek symbols would be even more helpful.

Symbols would be great to have quick access too.
The omega symbol is the most frustrating one which has no direct fast access.

The {ALT} key is handy which will yield the asci symbols, while depressed.
for example to name a few.
½ is alt 0189
¼ is alt 0188
¾ is alt 0190
µ is alt 230
° is alt 0176
² is alt 0178
³ is alt 0179
▼ is alt 31
▲ is alt 30
ü is alt 0252 (German ue)
you can try up to alt 0256 and then duplicate symbols will re occur.
Unfortunately there is NO ohmega symbol in theis list.

RODALCO said:
Symbols would be great to have quick access too.
The omega symbol is the most frustrating one which has no direct fast access.

The {ALT} key is handy which will yield the asci symbols, while depressed.
for example to name a few.
½ is alt 0189
¼ is alt 0188
¾ is alt 0190
µ is alt 230
° is alt 0176
² is alt 0178
³ is alt 0179
▼ is alt 31
▲ is alt 30
ü is alt 0252 (German ue)
you can try up to alt 0256 and then duplicate symbols will re occur.
Unfortunately there is NO ohmega symbol in theis list.
Alt 234 is Ω. There are lots of other useful **broken link removed**. Note that you have to use the numeric keypad.

Ron H said:
Alt 234 is Ω
Not for me it isn't, for me Alt+234 is Û, that's the problem with extended ASCII, it isn't a standard.

There are some interesting symbols like Alt+1 ☺, Alt+3 ♥ and who will ever need Alt+10 ◙?

Thanks Ron, amazingly on my home computer it works.

Ω Ω = alt + 234.

You made my day, the leading zero give me the problems here !

I'm sure i tried with and without the leading zero on my work computer.

alt ê = alt + 0234

Thanks mate.

OK yes lets have symbols.............. and maybe drums? LOL

I agree that it would be a good idea to have symbols available. However, the biggest problem when it comes to typing out formulas is when you have two parts of an equation being divided. Like the formula for the approximate resonant frequency of a colpitts oscillator for example:

fo=.....1
---------------
(sqrt)L x C1.C2
............------
............C1+C2

Ignore the dots - I had to include them in order to get the layout of the formula right. But you see the problem. Also, the L x C1.C2/C1+C2 side should all be included in brackets because the answer is all subject to a square root operation, but you can't do big enough brackets to include all of that.

These are the limits of forums eh?

Brian

Rig Doctor: Shouldn't the last two words of your signature read "drain bamage"?

Took me a few secs to get my head around that!

OOOOPS....... Yup just noticed the boob....... thanks thermal

ThermalRunaway

Yep, I have done that too to fill up the gaps with dots to get a formula look right.
Somehow all forums don't allowe you to enter more than one space between words, and shift all text over to the left.

Going back to the Omega symbol ALT + Ω, that works on the forums, but in XL it yields ê or U with 'accent circonflex' above it.

Must be different ASCI basics in the software.

If XL means Excel, then alt-234 gives me Ω in Excel also. However...
I made my previous post from my computer at work. Now I'm at home. If I type alt-234 here (in the forum window), as soon as I get to the "3", it activates Favorites. I suspect it's because I'm running the beta version of IE7 here, while at work I'm using IE6. To get the Ω to print here, I had to type it in Notepad, then copy and paste it here.

You can get all of these characters right on your own computer. Just go Start > All programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. I use this all of the time. Here is a sample of some of the characters available.

µ³²±°¼½¾ºΩπ•√≈≠¹∆

Oh, and these are instructions for XP. I'm not sure about Home Edition, but i know pro has it. If not, i think you can install it for free via updates. If you have 2K or below, then it can be installed via the install CD. If you need help, i will be glad to provide assistance.

Ron XL is Excel, correct. My computer at home which runs XP works fine with the Ω character while the one at work comes up with the ê. But no worries, must be different set up with software I guess.

Marks256 Yep thanks for that, these charters work great !!

The beauty of the alt+ stroke is that you can keep typing whatever you are doing and without drag and drop and using the mouse, the character can be put in your report or formula etc.

Ron XL is Excel, correct. My computer at home which runs XP works fine with the Ω character while the one at work comes up with the ê. But no worries, must be different set up with software I guess.

The reason for this problem is the current font you are using. One font is different from another. So, the omega could have a different X-ASCII number than the same omega symbol in a different font.

Hm... For maths, why don't you set up a TeX renderer for this forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back