Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adding i.MX233 model into proteus ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way is to become a third party developer and make your own... They give you a skeletal program but to sim a processor is extremely hard.... If you ask for it to be developed, it'll take ages and cost a packet!!

Your best bet is to use the closest arm processor.... The only 32bit they have modeled is the cortex M3..

hi Ian Rogers,
thanks for great reply. im new to embedded design and proteus. please bare with my silly questions.

1) this is ARM 9 processor. is it close ARM7 or cortex?

2) what family i should select for this processor? how to determine a family of the processor we want? its not stated in the datasheet!

3) after selecting family, we need to select specific controller. how to decide which controller is close to the controller which we want?

The micro you want is an ARM9.. The cortex is basically an ARM7 So if you develop with ISIS then you will need to use a hardware profile....

I use the pic32 which isn't supported.... However the pic24f64 64 pin is the same footprint as the pic32mx440 that I use, so I use that and I can simulate various situations... Using a hardware profile ( basically a header file set to the mirco in question ) all you need to do when moving to a real device, just swap the header profile..

When writing C programs.... If you place certain wrapper functions that relate to specific hardware into a profile file..

eg.. Lets assume that you are writing code for an LCD... And the LCD port is on port E... BUT!!! during simulation you can only use port D... Then all the code related to the simulation is in one file and all the code relating to a real device is in another file, all you need to do is point to the two different files!! How does this differ from #ifdef statements??? It make the code more portable AND!!! doesn't confuse the begebers out of programmers with all the conditional programming!!!

great. thanks Ian Roegers! now im going to study number of pins for i.MX233 and find out which device in proteus ISIS have similar footprint to i.MX233.

one question. based on your experience, simulating other MPU which have similar footprint can tell the real issues/behaviors of i.MX233?

I'm not an ARM user.... I have never really looked into them.. Look at the datasheet.... Nothing in ISIS has 128 pins so you won't be simulating everything!!

My advise would be to buy a small olimex dev board like this
IMX233-OLINUXINO-MICRO..
And use a JTAG debugger

i have few more questions:

1) can i import processors IDE, BSDL Model or IBIS Model to proteus ISIS to simulate? will it work?

2) i have gone thru processor list of proteus. they have few 10 pins processors. Atmel ATMEGA2560, ATMEGA3250, ATMEGA3250p, ATMEGA3290, ATMEGA3290p, ATMEGA640, ATMEGA6450, ATMEGA6490 and ATSAM3N1C, ATSAM3N0C...
these are 100pins processors. these are closest to my 128 pin count processors. thats why i feel it may suit my i.MX233. please correct me if im wrong.

3) is there any supplier giving proteus spice model to direct import to proteus library? if yes, please state the supplier name, model types and how to import them. thanks.

Are you simulating or just drawing the schematic??? If you are simulating then the sim model will have to be made... Not an easy task for anyone... If you just need a schematic model... Then you can make one.. The tutorial will help!

hi Ian,
im simulating. i have few more questions:

1) can i import processors IDE, BSDL Model or IBIS Model to proteus ISIS to simulate? will it work?

2) i have gone thru processor list of proteus. they have few 10 pins processors. Atmel ATMEGA2560, ATMEGA3250, ATMEGA3250p, ATMEGA3290, ATMEGA3290p, ATMEGA640, ATMEGA6450, ATMEGA6490 and ATSAM3N1C, ATSAM3N0C...
these are 100pins processors. these are closest to my 128 pin count processors. thats why i feel it may suit my i.MX233. please correct me if im wrong.

3) is there any supplier giving proteus spice model to direct import to proteus library? if yes, please state the supplier name, model types and how to import them. thanks.

1) No!! The processors are modeled by Labcenter or third party developers ( I am one of the later )..
2) There is no Arm9... Arm7 isn't as powerful..
3) No-one provides these models ( its not like spice... These are digitally modeled micro's...)

I was lucky!! The pic32mx440f256 has the exact same footprint of the pic24fj64g006... So using C24 compiler I can test most of my code....

dear Ian Rogers,
my last question will be, is there any other competitor of proteus who provides comprehensive library up to last MPU technologies?

what i mean by competitor is digital simulation software (MPU and other peripherals) just like proteus.

the maximum memory size also 1M-bit which is very less makes proteus useless for my application!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back