Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"active band pass fileter design help"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaJuan

I am making a active sensor which utilizes an IR LED and a phototransistor. The IR LED would trasmit IR Light and the phototransistor recives the IR Light only if there is a n object near by. Every thing works well except that the phototransistor also detects evironement light. So I decide to modulate the IR signal to 100KH while the phototransistor is to be connectect to a bandpass filter that would allow the 100KH signal to pass. THe problem is that I dont know how to design an active band pass filter that could allow 100KH signal to pass. Could any body pls help me?

Thank you in advance and more power

it would be easier to just use a tone detector IC. this is the typical method for most of the modulated IR receivers I have seen, as well as ultrasonics. you will then get a nice clean digital output from it.
you may also wish to use 40kHz as your modulation frequency, as that is by far the most common frequency to use (38kHz is also common)
and it is what is used in many TV remote controls (which allows you to test your circuit easily using a known-working TV remote)

It's far easier (and probably more reliable) to just use an IR receiver IC, you can use a simple 555 timer (or anything else you wanted) to modulate the IR LED at 38-40KHz. The receiver would be just one three pin IC, and the transmitter very few parts as well.

My website includes a design using a PIC 12C508 with two IR LED's to detect obstacles to left or right.

For Sir Evandude... Sir could you sudgest a couple of tone reciever IC's? The problem here in our place is the availability of those IC's I hope I could find one of those IC's that you will mention...

Thank you once again and more power

KaJuan said:
For Sir Evandude... Sir could you sudgest a couple of tone reciever IC's? The problem here in our place is the availability of those IC's I hope I could find one of those IC's that you will mention...

I think the NE567 is a common one!.

other tone decoder ICs

are there other tone decoder IC other than the LM567?

thank you for replying to my message.

Re: other tone decoder ICs

KaJuan said:
are there other tone decoder IC other than the LM567?

thank you for replying to my message.

I believe you can configure the CMOS 4046 PLL chip as a tone decoder, a tone decoder is just a particular use of a PLL - but the 567 is specifically designed for the purpose, and is very simple to use.

Re: PLL

KaJuan said:
How do you configure a PLL to become a tone decoder?

By checking to see if the PLL is locked, while the 4046 doesn't specifically provide a 'lock indicator' output you can easily provide one - it's a standard technique. But far easier to use the 567!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back