Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ABS help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all first post, hoping I can find my answer here. I have an obsolete part on my truck and I need to bypass it to continue to use the truck.
It is a 2000 ford f350 automatic 4x4 truck with a variable reluctance sensor on the rear axle that read a 120 tooth ring that creates a signal then it runs through the broken, obsolete ABS
module and the to the PCM and GEM to run the speedometer and partial shifting strategies for the auto trans.

Ive found online that the signal from the sensor is supposedly a pulsing DC signal and that the module supposedly converts it to a square wave for
the other modules to read. I would like to build a simple circuit to get around my broken module.

I have partially dissassembled the module but do not want to destroy it to inspect the chip side so I am waiting on a new soldering iron and desolder wick
to properly dissassemble it.

I have looked for replacements and repairs but no luck.

I am looking on Ebay to buy a Fluke 123 scopemeter to determine what the signals are but I will need help deciphering them and figuring out what to build.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all help. - A

Last edited:
Can you provide a link to the sensor module spec, or a pic? Module part number?

Thank you for the suggestions but that is not the route I am taking. This model is a 2 whl ABS and most are 4 whl ABS so this part is hard to find and IF you do find one it is very expensive. I have removed the ABS pump that this module controls so I dont have ABS anyway. This is an offroad vehicle where ABS is dangerous anyway.

Last edited:
It may very well be one of the speed sensors on the trans axle or yes the GEM module. I have seen failures buy both. Get the trouble code stored. Is it a code 3?

How do you know for sure without a scope?

I read one guy took the radio cluster out and found that the 4x4 switch had become unplugged.

A logic probe is cheap to make or buy, so you can inspect logic level signals, once you know where they are located. Hall sensors use logic level out.

ALso check connector pins for corrosion and clean, lube with WD40 then seal with silicone.

Last edited:
This the module but mine is a different number, second pic is mine. Kelsey Hayes is the MFG.
Ford_RWAL.jpg
ABS mod.JPG

I had it scanned and it is a C1185 code. C1185 ABS power relay output. I called the Dealer and he was helpful but said it 99% that it need replaced.

It may very well be one of the speed sensors on the trans axle or yes the GEM module. I have seen failures buy both. Get the trouble code stored. Is it a code 9?

How do you know for sure without a scope?

I read one guy took the radio cluster out and found that the 4x4 switch had become unplugged.

I've seen relay solder joints break around the pin with a hairline annular crack (from vibration ) even in stove board panels. They should have used PU adhesive to stop the vibration on the relay to board, like done in PC power supplies for big parts.**broken link removed**
7729081600_1426186708.jpg

Good Ruck trying to repair it!

Last edited:
https://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/

I found this

if you locate the ABS module should be beneth the air filter housing there should be a 2 wire black connector plugging into the module, wire colors of the connector should be Light Green/ Yellow tracer, and Orange/ yellow tracer, disconnect this connector and measure voltage between the Orange/yellow tracer wire and ground, this is a hot at all times wire so there should be above 10 volts at this wire with the key off. ...... if you don't have above 10V at this wire, check the fuse box under the hood for a 50 amp Maxi fuse that is blown.

Ive repaired Ford instrument clusters with the broken solder joint you describe.
Ive double checked all the fuses with the vehicle running and a test light on both sides of all fuses underhood and under dash panel.

I have the ABS module out and split however the board is captured by the pins you see in my pics above, I will need to desolder all of them
inspect the chips and solder joints. The board is coated with a clear rubbery coating / substance to protect it from the elements and vibration I suppose.

I am working on a 2000 f350 xlt 4x4 v- 10 gas auto trans that is far from stock and this is what I do with it.

**broken link removed**

https://www.fordwindstarrecall.info/

I found this

if you locate the ABS module should be beneth the air filter housing there should be a 2 wire black connector plugging into the module, wire colors of the connector should be Light Green/ Yellow tracer, and Orange/ yellow tracer, disconnect this connector and measure voltage between the Orange/yellow tracer wire and ground, this is a hot at all times wire so there should be above 10 volts at this wire with the key off. ...... if you don't have above 10V at this wire, check the fuse box under the hood for a 50 amp Maxi fuse that is blown.

A trick used by telephone repair guys is to insert a needle into the wires and clip on probes with a DMM. THen you can check if the module is getting power to the relay and the relay is actually closing ( Neutral with brake on or park? )

But seems like a lot of work for a $70 module used .

this is what I do with it.
You have some rough old roads out your way! :)
JimB

I just tested the plugs/harness on the truck that supply the module and they have proper voltage. Ive also cleaned and inspected the ground wires.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I have and I had that part in my cart and my cc number in the box and then I googled them. Ripoff report and BBB was discouraging at the least.

Picture is not focused very well But the conector pins through the board look like some are dry joints. I would go over them re soldering first. Ive repaired plenty of various Ford electronic modules that have suffered dry joints with success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back