Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About 60V,30A Voltage Regulator/Battery charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any voltage regulator available in the market that can regulate the DC voltage up to 60V and can charge the 48V Lead acid batteries?

I have used LM338K to make my 24V lead acid battery Charger with auto cut off circuitry sucessfully. now i want to make 48V and 36V battery chargers. Please help me about that.
Thank you

You can use your LM338K's. Thay will run at any voltage as long as the differential does not exceed 35 volts.
See note in the data sheet.
Since the regulator is "floating" and sees only
the input-to-output differential voltage, supplies of several
hundred volts can be regulated as long as the
maximum input to input differential is not exceeded.
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/stmicroelectronics/2576.pdf

Don't attempt to use a linear regulator for that much power. For a switching power supply charger at that kind of power you should look for a power factor corrected unit if you ever want to run it from a generator.

https://www.iotaengineering.com/dls5413.htm

**broken link removed** For an inverter/charger

Last edited:
besides all considerations 60V are considered lethal.

A 48V lead-acid battery is fully charged when reaching 52.8V.

Boncuk

You can use your LM338K's. Thay will run at any voltage as long as the differential does not exceed 35 volts.
See note in the data sheet.
I used to call those suicide designs. Must have come from some idiot in marketing. Each time you power up such a circuit, the output capacitors on the regulator(s) are discharged so for a time period as they charge up, the regulator has too much voltage across it. Don't use that.

Last edited:
So how can i manage to get 60V or a minimum of 55V at the out put ??? Can LM338k withstand with a maximum of 60V or 65V at the input to get 55V or 60V at the out put????

I think input to these regulators should not exceed 40V. am i right? i yes the how can i get 60V at the ouput? is there any regulator IC that can regulate that much voltages? what about The IC LM2576HVT-ADJ ?

Or
are 30V Enough to charge a 48V battery? so an LM338K can be used to charge a 48V battery?
kindly guide me about it.
Thank you

The LM338 can be used for any input voltage if the difference between input and output voltage does not exceed 40V. So for a desired output voltage of 60V the maximum input voltage of 100V is allowed, but not recommended because of the high power dissipation within the chip.

However, the max output voltage is limited to 32V. Further the maximum current is 7A.

With other words, you can't use the LM338 at all to charge a 48V battery at 30A.

I suggest you consider a solution using several paralleled power MosFet transistors and adjust the gate voltage for a maximum of 52.8V to float charge the battery to that absolut maximum voltage at your desired maximum charging current.

Here is an example to get the circuit to work within limits of components. The BUZ20 can stand 100V at 12V. R2 ... R4 take care of equal source voltages. When building the circuit make sure source voltages are pretty much the same on each transistor for equal current distribution.

If the pot is turned all the way down (to ground) the circuit might also be used to charge 24V batteries.

Boncuk

Attachments

• 48V-30A-CHARGER.gif
    48V-30A-CHARGER.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,086
Last edited:
Or
are 30V Enough to charge a 48V battery? so an LM338K can be used to charge a 48V battery?
kindly guide me about it.
Thank you
Please visit ebay and buy a good used power supply rated for 60V/30A. You can not build such a device using IC regulators. In fact, you would need an experienced power supply designer to even attempt to build this and the mechanical assemblies (heatsink/fan/chassis, etc) design would cost many times what you could buy one for.

example:

**broken link removed**

New 1800 watt power supply for under $500. You absolutely can not build one for that cost.

Last edited:
Please visit ebay and buy a good used power supply rated for 60V/30A. You can not build such a device using IC regulators. In fact, you would need an experienced power supply designer to even attempt to build this and the mechanical assemblies (heatsink/fan/chassis, etc) design would cost many times what you could buy one for.

example:

**broken link removed**

New 1800 watt power supply for under $500. You absolutely can not build one for that cost.

Thank u very much sir, but i took it as a project and i have to build that supply/charger. i will try to build a switch mode powersupply/Charger.... will it be better??

The LM338 can be used for any input voltage if the difference between input and output voltage does not exceed 40V. So for a desired output voltage of 60V the maximum input voltage of 100V is allowed, but not recommended because of the high power dissipation within the chip.

However, the max output voltage is limited to 32V. Further the maximum current is 7A.

With other words, you can't use the LM338 at all to charge a 48V battery at 30A.

I suggest you consider a solution using several paralleled power MosFet transistors and adjust the gate voltage for a maximum of 52.8V to float charge the battery to that absolut maximum voltage at your desired maximum charging current.

Boncuk

--->About LM338K is that they can be managed (Connected in parallel) to handle about 30A of current. since each LM338k gaurenty 5A Current delivery so to get 30A current at the output to charge 300AH or down to 200AH lead acid batteries can be designed.... since large heatsinks and cooling fans will be required in the housing.
--->From the above description a power of 1800w will be managed.

--->is there LM338K HV version IC available? that will be pretty enough for me to get my required regulated out put. :)

You simply want a relay and voltage detection circuit.
You just want a 60v version of this:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
If you don't understand what I mean by a 60v version of the above circuit, this project is way beyond your capabilities.

the internet was down so i couldn't see the image. i just see it. i also have searched it out on net. its idea is good but i want to design my own.

I have provided the simplest and cheapest circuit. Anything beyond this is complely over the head of a novice.
A 60v, 30amp charger is way over my head and I have been in electronics for 30 years.

Last edited:
A SCR charger might be the way to go. What is your transformer voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back