1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about ESC (electronic speed control)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Clarkdale44, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Clarkdale44

Clarkdale44 Member

Hello

I am basically new to all this... ESC stuff..

Thing is i have couple of old hdd's and dvd drive's motors lying around. I need to drive these motors for DIY projects.

So i researched a bit on them and found out that i need some sort of ESC to drive these BLDC motors and Servo controller to control their speed.
    A friend told me to simply buy a 10A ESC + servo controller.

But i am now hit a wall. You see i am stuck on how do i power the ESC? I don't have any LI PO battery. Can i power ESC using regular power supply that outputs max 12v 2 amps.

Can anyone explain?
    I appreciate all the help..

Thank you

2. alec_t

alec_t Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

Get the spec/datasheet for the ESC/controller. That should tell you the supply requirements.

3. dr pepper

dr pepper Well-Known Member Most Helpful Member

If you rummage on ebay for hdd motor controller, you'll find you can buy a pcb for about 3 quid that controls small brushless motors, they have a pot to adjust speed from slow to 7200 rpm, I have a couple they work well.
    Driving a motor without feedback sensors is no easy task, unless your a skilled programmer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dave

Dave New Member

5. Clarkdale44

Clarkdale44 Member

Thanks for your suggestions, sorry for the late reply.. I think i will take my time to buy an ESC.