Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Few Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha. It's kind of like soccer actually.. Well they are like the yellow and red cards, if you misbehave a moderator can give you a card - which is actually called an infraction... They are only for moderators and are quite old.. not used very much..

Even if I head-butt some turkey and lose my team the big game? :D

Torben

I prefer the left image that uses simple text rather than the progress bars.

I cant imagine a new guy with a question working his/her way thru the 'bars' of
members posts looking to see who's got the biggest and brightest bar.

If the yellow/red card is adopted I would suggest a 'tool tip' pop up explaining its meaning would be useful.

Last edited:
I cant image a new guy with a question working his/her way thru the 'bars' of
members posts looking to see who's got the biggest and brightest bar.

:) No more than the new folks probably used the green and red squares, anyway. So many of them don't even bother to read the stickies that I'm not sure they'd even care.

If the yellow/red card is adopted I would suggest a 'tool tip' pop up explaining its meaning would be useful.

Good idea. The old icons had explanatory tooltips (well, explanatory "alt" attribute text, which in many browsers means a tooltip would be shown), so I can only assume that the new ones will too.

Torben

[Edit: Morning Eric!]

Last edited:
:) No more than the new folks probably used the green and red squares, anyway. So many of them don't even bother to read the stickies that I'm not sure they'd even care.

Good idea. The old icons had explanatory tooltips (well, explanatory "alt" attribute text, which in many browsers means a tooltip would be shown), so I can only assume that the new ones will too.

Torben

[Edit: Morning Eric!]

Morning Torben,
I would agree with the idea that most newbies dont bother/care to read the posters 'street cred'.

Having said that, I got a PM today saying, 'as I was an active member could I help with a project'.
The guy had only made one post to the forum.! so I sent the request to CERN.;)

Last edited:
Having said that, I got a PM today saying, 'as I was an active member could I help with a project'.
The guy had only made one post to the forum.! so I sent the request to CERN.;)

AAGH! Don't feed the black holes! :eek:

Torben

I like the first (left) new version. The information is obvious, one doesn't have to strain to read the "led indicator," and reputation has increased granularity (as stated by Torben earlier). I consider the latter an advantage.

I don't know what all the new categories of reputation are, but it seems like 4 positive categories (newbie, on your way, good, excellent) is all it should take. That seems particularly true in light if the lengthy discussions here previously on the vagaries of reputation.

John

Just to clarify the Red and Yellow cards are only for admins and mods.. They wont be shown to all members..

At the primary school my wife works at they have a 'red card' scheme for the kids - if you get a red card you have to go and see the headmaster during assembly on Friday morning, then go and stand outside his office during breaks. They also write a letter to the parents as well.

That was the old reps... crap huh.. It seems like it hasnt updated users that are banned.. will try get that fixed.

It hasn't updated for the non-banned members either, goblin_techies isn't banned (I don't know why considering some of the posts he's made) and it says he's infamous.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/try-this.32013/

I don't see why it matters for banned memebers since it clearly states they're banned which will make people think twice about taking any notice of their silly posts.

Last edited:
Top down design

I guess someone should first ask "What is hoped to be accomplished by any kind of historical record on the Poster?"
That is probably what should drive the design of the indicators, if any are used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back