Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A big software update is on its way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
Hi All,

Because the current software has proven to be buggy and very slow, and development has all but stopped we're going to move to a new platform called xenforo. It's code base is extremely well planned and is very fast. It has some amazing features and allows addons to be created much easier - which i plan on making. But most of all it will provide a better experience for you guys.

We're preparing the move now. It's going to take some time to transfer the data, there is over 1 gig for just the database and then there's the attachments to do... This will mostly be done in the background however, there will be a period where no new posts will be allowed (a clear notice will be posted when we're upto that stage) and I'll try and make that time as small as possible.

Regards,
EM

Hi,

Looks interesting. I hope Latex still works ok and all the attachments are visible.
I will look forward to using the new site software.

I'm assuming the "New Member" status is temporary.

Also the "Forum Supporter" tag.

Hi Al,

Attachment are still being transferred. Latex will definitely be added but at this stage it will be in a few days.

Regards,
EM

Hi EM,

Oh ok thanks for letting us know. I hope everything goes well :)

Hi All,

Because the current software has proven to be buggy and very slow, and development has all but stopped we're going to move to a new platform called xenforo. It's code base is extremely well planned and is very fast. It has some amazing features and allows addons to be created much easier - which i plan on making. But most of all it will provide a better experience for you guys.

We're preparing the move now. It's going to take some time to transfer the data, there is over 1 gig for just the database and then there's the attachments to do... This will mostly be done in the background however, there will be a period where no new posts will be allowed (a clear notice will be posted when we're upto that stage) and I'll try and make that time as small as possible.

Regards,
EM
all the best ElectroMaster.
we wait for the site to be fully normal .
we are sure , under your management, yes, we are enjoying the site and the responses.
Lots of learning.

Hello ElectroMaster! I've received a big message box that literally reads the following:
  1. 2
    Awarded: 1 minute ago
    Somebody Likes You
    Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!

2. 10
    Can't Stop!
    You've posted 100 messages. I hope this took you more than a day!

3. 5
    Keeps Coming Back
    30 messages posted. You must like it here!

4. 1
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.

But please don't fix the "Somebody Likes you", it made me thought "Oh stop it you!" :p No, seriously, looks like a malfunction on the awards system.

Last edited:
Is it going to be an option to watch threads looking from newset posts to oldest (as with the old software)?

What's a Trophy Point?

What's the difference between an "active member" and a "well-known member?"

John

Will we be getting the 'My posts' tab back?
I'm having probs finding my way round the site. Is there an edit function for signature content? Is there an option to show/not show signatures? How to edit particular profile fields?
A shame we've gone down the Tweet/Trophy/Like/Recommend route. In my view those are childish and lower the tone of the site.

I think it is a mistake.

The old format was better. Just my personal view. The original way the site was for all this time suited me better. Remember, this site relies on solid information to guide....

All that is going to happen now is that a lot more lost souls are going to try here for help.
I really don't have the time or energy for that as ETO already had a problem with the older site version...now it will be worse.

Expect many more people that expect answers without any work.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Will we be getting the 'My posts' tab back?
I'm having probs finding my way round the site. Is there an edit function for signature content? Is there an option to show/not show signatures? How to edit particular profile fields?
A shame we've gone down the Tweet/Trophy/Like/Recommend route. In my view those are childish and lower the tone of the site.

hi alec.
Hover the Mouse over your Name , on the Top right side of the top menu bar, you should get a drop down menu.

Eric

I think it is a mistake.

The old format was better. Just my personal view. The original way the site was for all this time suited me better.

Changes always take time to get used to, people weren't happy when the software was changed the previous time either, but after a few weeks (and more tweaks) you'll soon get used to it.

My initial observation is why the fixed width?, or is there an option somewhere to make it adjust to the screen like the previous software?.

Changes always take time to get used to, people weren't happy when the software was changed the previous time either, but after a few weeks (and more tweaks) you'll soon get used to it.

My initial observation is why the fixed width?, or is there an option somewhere to make it adjust to the screen like the previous software?.

Hi Nigel

Now I understand why Eric replied in a PM I sent to him on the Weekend that he was taking care of an emergency/situation etc.

Good luck the both of you. In fact, good luck all of us getting used to this.

Regards,
tvtech

In my lexicon, trophy has a few different implications. On is communicated by the term, "trophy wife." That is, something to show around without a lot of substance. The other would be like the Lombardi Trophy that goes to the Superbowl winner. A lot of hard work and competitive skill goes into getting that.

It was a light-hearted question. I am not objecting to the term at all. As I just turned 70, the image of a trophy wife just came to me out of the blue -- maybe in my next life.

Considering the effort this change must entail, I think EM has done a masterful job. It is a little rocky now, but at least we were not shut down for any period I detected. I think it is far too early to raise any issues that need fixed.

John
(I also wanted to see how the notices by e-mail appeared to subscribed threads wrt Menticol's post above.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back