Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V 2A Guitar FX Pedal Power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I got the photos done and did a pic of the jack with #s to refer to each solder pad.

**broken link removed**

I'll start off with that numbered jack.

Without anything plugged into the jack I get continuity from points 2 to 3
With the male plug plugged into the jack I can't get any continuity
So without anything plugged in I'm getting my short.

Looking at the next pics you can see how I have it wired.
My + line are going from jack 1, to 2, to 3... all on pin 2
I also jumped from pin 2 on the first jack to all of the #3 pins on the rest of the jacks.

The (-) neg. wire is white going to all the center pins (pad # 1)

Now when I have the plug in the jack I get continuity from the center pin of the male plug on pin 1
When I touch the tester lead to the ground lug of the male connector I get continuity on pad 2 of the jack.

I'm not sure how to wire this so it does not short out....anyone have any ideas?

feel free to ask questions on the wiring as I know those pics are not the best.

Last edited:
Your switched jacks are used as power input jacks to automatically switch on a battery when an AC adapter is not used. If you plug an adapter in then the battery is disconnected.
All these kind of jacks that I've seen don't switch the center pin #1. So there is no way pin 1 can short to the other pins. So your power supply shouldn't be shorted.

yea thats what strange about it...theres no shorting on any of these jacks from any of the terminals to the center pin.

Im not sure whats going on anymore with this circuit. Its working fine without the jacks installed in the circuit.

Its got to be these outlets though because im reading a dead short between the input lines.

m going to get the extras out and just install new ones and see what happens

Last edited:
yep it was a faulty jack somewhere in the line.

I swapped them all out for new ones I had laying around and its working as it should now.

**broken link removed**

I'll install it in the pedalboard tomorrow. Fow now I have the 2 outlets in there which fit well.

Last edited:
One more question on this project.

Could I hook 2 leads from the transformer which puts out 12vAC to 2 of the outlets on the output panel so I can run my magicstomp and some other 12vAC running FX pedal?

I would think it should work but I would want to look into it more here before trying it and destroying the great magicstomp I use every day.

We don't know if the other units' power supplies are the same as this one or if they are different which might cause smoke.

I'll ask someone on another board to get a meter reading from the 12VAC output on their store bought power units.

If the voltage is close enough ill give it a try and watch it for a while.

Chances are if I match teh voltage theres nothing that can go wrong with the pedals...I really could case less about the power unit I made...easy too make another with all the spare parts I have.

If the other pedals use a center-tapped 12V transformer then they are very different to this one that doesn't have a center-tapped transformer.

audioguru said:
If the other pedals use a center-tapped 12V transformer then they are very different to this one that doesn't have a center-tapped transformer.

oh I see what you're saying now.

Looks fine as is, maby I wont take the risk of loosing my Yamaha pedal and just keep the outlets set up under the board.

Last edited:
Maybe your Majicstomp uses a voltage doubler circuit that causes its transformer to be wired different from your regulated supply circuit. I wouldn't risk trying one transformer with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back