Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

500 watt fm transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribbean

Hi all
I brought a 500 watt rf amp pallet and power supply and a 5 watt fm transmitter had it put together in a case and a fm antenna that's 88mhz-108mhz same as the fm transmitter. I will like to know how many miles can I broadcast with that? I need to know also is there a equipment I can use to test the whole fm transmitter and antenna to make sure it's pushing 500 watts?

You should have a power meter and a SWR meter.
The meters might be in the 500 watt amp or they should be on the output of the amp.
Normally the antenna needs to be tuned to the same frequency you are transmitting on.
Do you have pictures or part numbers for the parts you have?

Welcome to ETO!
I will like to know how many miles can I broadcast with that?
Do you mean with the 5W transmitter or after amplification to 500W?
In theory the range with either is infinite. In practice the sensitivity of the receiver, plus intervening obstructions and terrain, will determine the workable range.

With that power output you should make sure you have the authorization to operate such a thing.

Zero miles
I will like to know how many miles can I broadcast with that?
Zero miles without a license (max unlicensed power out limit of 100mw in the US and territories) . And, since the frequency range of the xmitter is in a commercial (as opposed to an amateur) band, a considerably more difficult to get commercial license.

To Alec_t the fm transmitter by it self is 5watts,I connect it to a rf amp pallet that's 500 watts to boost the 5 watt fm transmitter. Doesn't that make the 5watt fm transmitter signal equal 500 watts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 404
Are you planning to be some sort of pirate station in international waters? See Post#6.

Is further discussion of this within the TOS of ETO? Hint, hint...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back