Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4WD chassis not turning properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonti

Hi!

I've built a rover using 4WD chassis but it has a problem with turning.
Going back and forth is working properly but turning is very weak and on some surfaces it's not working at all.

I've connected both right and left wheels so when I want to turn I make left wheels go to one direction and right wheels to opposite direction. It should behave like a tank.

I guess that the problem is in friction but why is this happening? Is it because the wheels are so close together?
I saw videos with similar types of chassis and they are working properly.

Here are images of my chassis:
IMG_20130810_131613.jpg
IMG_20130810_133817.jpg

What are my options?

Thanks,
Leonti

If I move wheels more apart, so they form a square, will it significantly decrease the friction or should I try another solution? Caster wheel?

A short, wide vehicle will skid-steer more easily than a long, narrow vehicle.

I guess that the problem is in friction but why is this happening? Is it because the wheels are so close together?
I saw videos with similar types of chassis and they are working properly.

I have a "gut feeling" that the best overall compromise is for the wheels to be at the corners of a square, athough I have no mathematics or experience to back that up.

Having said that, whatever the wheel layout, you need more power in the driving motors to make the wheels skid on the road surface.

JimB

Just added second regulator, so my motors can run with different voltage (before they used 5v as the brains of the device) and added more juice (7.5v) - it solved the issue!
Didn't expect for change to be so noticeable but now it turns on any surface.

Thanks for the help!
Leonti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back