Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3904 NPN transistor to drive a relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

spestis

I have built this very simple circuit (image) but the relay will not engage after the switch is closed. I can feel the relay begin to engage but it does not latch closed. The relay is 36 ohms, 71mA @ 5V. An npn 3904 should supply up to 800 mA. Am I missing some thing? I have tried several transistors. And tested the relay.

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 8,026
You're missing the base resistor to limit the base current so you've probably destroyed every transistor you tested it with.

You need a resistor feeding the base, otherwise as soon as you press the switch the transistor will blow - if you've tried several transistors, you now have several dead transistors.

Also, it's important that you fit a diode across the relay coil, cathode to the top - otherwise the transistor will be destroyed when you release the switch.

pretty much what was said. If the relay is used for switching a higher current load, you may want to consider using simply a power bjt or mosfet and dump the relay.

Spestis, the values you give for the relay are not correct. If the coil is 36 ohms the current at 5V would be 5/36 = 139Ma. My data sheet says the maximum collector current for the 2N3904 is 200Ma. If the relay in fact only
needs 71Ma then I would use the beta of the 2N3904 @ 100Ma is min of 30.
Base current would be 71Ma/30 =2.3Ma. The resistor would be (5-0.7)/2.3Ma
=1.869K. I would use a 1.5K ohm resistor to insure collector saturation.

Or, use an N-Channel MOSFET with negligible gate current as another poster mentioned.

n-fet-low-side-switch-png.8886

Attachments

• N-FET Low Side Switch.PNG
    N-FET Low Side Switch.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 12,026
k7elp60 said:
Spestis, the values you give for the relay are not correct. If the coil is 36 ohms the current at 5V would be 5/36 = 139Ma. My data sheet says the maximum collector current for the 2N3904 is 200Ma. If the relay in fact only
needs 71Ma then I would use the beta of the 2N3904 @ 100Ma is min of 30.
Base current would be 71Ma/30 =2.3Ma. The resistor would be (5-0.7)/2.3Ma
=1.869K. I would use a 1.5K ohm resistor to insure collector saturation.

Ma is meaningless in this context, you mean mA. Capitalisation is important, Ma actually means the instantanious current in Mega amps.

Pic 16F54 Needs to drive a 5v Relay

I am using a pic 16f54 and need to trigger a 5V relay.

Coil Voltage of the relay is 5V Dc.
Coil Resistance = 63 Ohms.

So, My guess is the relay needs a current of 5/63= 79mA.

I am using an Smps (rating 5vdc and 1 amp current).

Can someone draw a small circuit showing me the transistor the resistors required.

P.S I have only 5v dc not 12 V.

Pardon my ignorance.

Thank You

Perhaps you should create your own thread rather than appending your question to a thread over 3 years old.

The old thread is wrong anyway.

The tutorial talks about hFE being used in a calculation for the value of the base resistor for a switching transistor.
One of our members talks about using beta in the calculation for the value of the base resistor for the switching transistor.
They are wrong.

The base current must simply be 1/10th the collector current for the 2N3904 transistor and for most other transistors.

I am using a pic 16f54 and need to trigger a 5V relay.

Coil Voltage of the relay is 5V Dc.
Coil Resistance = 63 Ohms.

So, My guess is the relay needs a current of 5/63= 79mA.

I am using an Smps (rating 5vdc and 1 amp current).

Can someone draw a small circuit showing me the transistor the resistors required.
**broken link removed**
Use 5V rather than 12V.

Last edited:
Thank You, I still have unresolved issue though

The Circuit works. But, when the circuit is powered on for 1 day, then the relay does not get triggered.

If I power off the circuit and power it back on it works for a while. Later it stops.

My friend says its the back emf. But It is not clear for me. Someone please help me resolve this.

Grab a meter and start measuring voltages. The transistor in your curcuit can be thought of as a switch. When the "switch" is off, you will measure close to 0V across your relay's coil. When the switch on on, you'll measure close to the power supply voltage across your relay's coil. If these conditions are validated, and you are getting the same result, then your relays are defective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back