Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.5” Hard Drive Physical Size, True 3.5” drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevef22

I am trying to fit a 3.5” hard drive into a small form factor case. I noticed that my hard drive is actually 3 7/8” wide and 5 ¾” long and 15/16” tall. The space available is 3 5/8” wide. Exactly 3 5/8” wide. No cutting or adjusting will make the space larger.

Were can I find closer to 3.5” hard drive? I thought about using a laptop hard drive but the max size is 250GB and the price is high.

Do you know where I can find physical sizes for hard drives? Do certain manufactures make slim 3.5” drives or list the physical dimensions?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thank you

I have always assumed that the 3 1/2 inch is the diameter of the disk, not the size of the case.

Yes, thats the way Ive learned that 3.5" form factor drives are. The disk is 3.5" inside. Standard drive slot space is 4 inches wide.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

A 3.5inch floppy disk is exactly 3.5inch's wide. The dimension you gave for width is 3.625 inches, that would give you a clearance limit of .0625 on each side. I think the metal the drive is made out of is thicker than that, so what you're looking for doesn't sound possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back