Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2sc1846 transistor replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommaq

Hi!
As seen in the title, I'm attempting to find a replacement for 2sc1846 (datasheet here .
It's used as a voltage regulator for an old cassette deck (Fisher CR W863R).

One of the things that has stumped me about finding a replacement is the transition frequency. Should I try and find one with a similar value? I'm not expecting it to come into play as in a voltage regulator circuit, but I can't be sure due to my lack of education in electronics.

I'm considering using BD681 as a replacement (Datasheet)
Altough it has a higher collector current.
Would this work? or will I fry everything if I use it?

The BD681 is a Darlington transistor; the 2SC1846 is not. Depending on the regulator circuit this may or may not be important.

One of the things that has stumped me about finding a replacement is the transition frequency. Should I try and find one with a similar value?

Transition frequency is of no consequence whatsoever, you just need an NPN device of a similar shape and vaguely similar power - personally I'd use a BD131, which historically was my transistor of choice in that casing (we used it as a replacement in numerous items). As a simple voltage regulator it's a VERY, VERY easy life - nothing complicated needed at all.

Thanks for the help! I ended up ordering a BD237. Here's to hoping it will work. and that the voltage regulator actually died in-circuit, and not when I removed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back