Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bands like YES, RUSH, BOSTON, and ELP were brilliant musicians, many of who attended Julliard, or the like. Much of today's musicians seem to have that garage band style. I wonder if these new bands are trying to take shortcuts. The bands of our day were educated fine musical machines. The quality of music today seems to have lost something... Maybe I am just getting old. :)

Last edited:
I was thinking of YES when I was typing the above reply. YES was a unique band as was the original Genesis with P. Gabriel and their theatrical rock days of Trick of the Tail, and Selling England By the Pound.... THAT WAS GENESIS!! I always enjoyed Roger Deans artwork.. even on the Yes album covers.... CD cases lack that feature.

I was introduced to Genesis in their mid-late '80s incarnation so I had no idea until later in life what their earlier stuff was like. When I heard it I was floored. Amazing.

I toured for a year with an outfit which had a killer sound system. On show days the sound tech would balance the room, usually starting and finishing the balancing with "Owner of a Lonely Heart", which was my introduction to Yes. It blew me away at the time, and had the nice side effect of putting the sound system through its paces too.

Selling England By the Pound is a "killer" album... I can't tell you how many times I listened to that over and over again. Definitely a night and day difference in talent and musicianship when compared to Motorhead!!! I don't hear their loud, yelling music too well cause I'm sadly distracted by Lemmy's grotesque moles... you'd think a rocker with that kind of income would at least get them removed... or is that his trademark? The only time Motorhead seemed tolerable to me was when they appeared in an episode of The Young Ones, as Rick and Vivian went bezerk with destruction. The Young Ones --- what a hoot that show was!!

I can't claim to be a Motorhead fan but I've got a soft spot for Ace of Spades. It's just a classic in its genre. I think maybe Lemmy enjoyed being a bit of a spectacle.

Torben

Bands like YES, RUSH, BOSTON, and ELP were brilliant musicians, many of who attended Julliard, or the like. Much of today's musicians seem to have that garage band style. I wonder if these new bands are trying to take shortcuts. The bands of our day were educated fine musical machines. The quality of music today seems to have lost something... Maybe I am just getting old. :)

Oh, I don't know. The DIY ethic has been around for a long time. Check out older Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield, Van Morrison, etc. I'm also a huge Who fan, and I still love it every time I hear the mistakes that they left in the recordings. And I respect them more for having the balls to leave them in--although not everybody is good enough to be able to do that and get away with it (somewhat ironic, that).

While I really like Yes's music, their studio production is just a bit too surgically clean for my taste. But man could those dudes play.

There are still hot players around. I love'em; they're inspiring. What's really inspiring is that the Grandmothers are still touring Zappa Plays Zappa (members of the Mothers of Invention, with Dweezil Zappa leading). Now THERE is some insane musicianship and showmanship. For my birthday a couple of years ago my wife got us tickets to go see them, and she is NOT a Zappa fan. My head just about blew up when Terry Bozzio came out for a few songs, and even performed The Black Page.

But I also love a lot of bands who aren't in that league musically, and don't have any intention of being. It's just a different ethic, a different take on the art. Bands like Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Silver Jews, Eric's Trip, etc often sound like they're on the edge of being able to keep it together, but for whatever reason, it just works. The songs and honesty have to be there in BIG quantities for that to work out, though. There are also lots of folks who aren't great musicians who, bluntly put, just suck.

I do know that this is not everybody's cup of tea, but I couldn't get by without it. Takes a little of everything to keep me going, and I love playlists which swing wildly across genres. Keeps me on my toes. I know a lot of people who really hate the advanced, schooled-sounding high-chops-content stuff like Rush, Yes, etc, because they essentially consider it to be boastful wankery. I disagree (although it is true there is a lot of self-indulgent wankery out there).

Torben

Interesting nobody has mentioned U2. I don't think Edge is phenom guitar player but the two strings he plays during the whole song sound pretty good.:) I picked up the new album a couple of weeks ago and finally realized that there will never be another Actung Baby. Their live shows are incredible though.

Interesting nobody has mentioned U2. I don't think Edge is phenom guitar player but the two strings he plays during the whole song sound pretty good.:)

Considering Status Quo are one of the longest running rock bands on the planet and supposedly only ever play three chords, you don't need to be complicated to be good :D

In any case, playing on only two strings 'may' be far more complicated than playing on more of them?. My daughter Melissa (bass player) sometimes plays on just one string, this makes it technically very difficult, but she says it relieves the boredom if a song isn't very challanging :rolleyes:

In a reversal, she also plays solos sometimes using all fingers 'fret tapping' like playing a keyboard on the neck of the bass.

While we're talking bands, anyone remember 'The Strawbs' - I've stuck a couple of their tracks on my MP3.

Last edited:
I'm a bit eclectic when it comes to music.

Yesterday I was going to jump on board but, I had to leave the computer. I read Mikes comment about Yes however everyone's done a fine job of contributing to them.

If we are about to render out about the "Contributor's" don't forget Styx.

I'm a bit eclectic when it comes to music.

Sinatra / Last Dance

Robert Johnson / All

Beethoven / All

Lincoln Park / Rally 'round the family, pocket full of shells

Eagles / Hotel California (Reminds me of my first wife) A Crazy Sweet California (White Witch) drove a Mercedes too ! :eek:

Willie Nelson / Always on my mind , but pretty much all

Jazz / I freaking love Jazz. Especially no vocal tracks.

American Indian Drum Chants / While washing the car.

Ok, I am strange. How strange are you ?

kv:D:D:D

Considering Status Quo are one of the longest running rock bands on the planet and supposedly only ever play three chords, you don't need to be complicated to be good :D

In any case, playing on only two strings 'may' be far more complicated than playing on more of them?. My daughter Melissa (bass player) sometimes plays on just one string, this makes it technically very difficult, but she says it relieves the boredom if a song isn't very challanging :rolleyes:

Steve, another friend taught my very long time friend. How to play the root. We still play music together. (Write Songs) He was manipulated by all of "them" into playing the bass also. When he started they kepted him. Only because a strong Player and would remember all the songs backward and forward. Plus he could get a "belly full of beer" and still finish the night without getting beat up.

Steve's nickname was "The white Jimmy Hendricks" Love his Fender Stratocaster he could make that thing cry. Especially when playing Pink Floyd.
Now he play's a baby Grand and just built a recording studio in his house.

My guitar teacher told me..... when your good enough to drool and not think about what your playing you know your board to death. You should probably should quit and find a job.:p

He did and became a Doctor.:eek:

kv:D

Edit: Steve never sought a Music Career he opened a Auto body shop made his money counting on a community without enough roads per capita. Too many cars not enough road = Fender Benders.

Last edited:
Excuse me, I'm looking for the geezer rock thread on Electro... oh, wait - here it is.

Maybe a little AC/DC ?

Excuse me, I'm looking for the geezer rock thread on Electro... oh, wait - here it is.

Ok, youngster give up yer playlist.:p

kv:)

No, it's the Classic Rock thread.... there's a big difference. Many of the 90's and todays rock songs will never earn Classic status with their 3 chord licks and droning vocals. You need lead guitarists like Eddie VanHalen, Steven Howe, or Steve Vai to set pace for the band's success. Today's rock music is often plastic and momentary and not the musical mastery of the classic rockers. (IMHO) A majority of **broken link removed**into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are those who have pioneered music and playing techniques that changed or improved things. Many garage bands turned famous, simply improve their own economic status and sex life ... for awhile that is!

Last edited:
He bought his son a Fender Stratocaster American vintage reissue and a Fender Twin Reverb amp to go with it. Oh, and I think he also got guitar tablature for Led Zeppelin, AC-DC, Deep Purple, and Kiss. Sounds like it was a good birthday.:D;)

He bought his son a Fender Stratocaster American vintage reissue and a Fender Twin Reverb amp to go with it. Oh, and I think he also got guitar tablature for Led Zeppelin, AC-DC, Deep Purple, and Kiss. Sounds like it was a good birthday.:D;)

hehehe. . .I wish. :) Although I'm more familiar with the Fender Hot Rod DeVille so I'd probably go for that. Knowing him he'd probably like a HiWatt better, though. . .2-year-olds can be so picky.

Torben

I had a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 for a couple of years... thing was just TOO loud. Wouldn't really saturate till 6-8. Great amp but not what I needed.

Yall want a room? =)

I had a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 for a couple of years... thing was just TOO loud. Wouldn't really saturate till 6-8. Great amp but not what I needed.

Weird. . .my best friend has played one for years (still does). In 8 years of touring together I don't think I ever saw him turn it up past 3 and he could get lots of crunch out of it. He had a lot of custom work done to his guitar and amp though, so that might have been the difference.

Torben

I'm probably too late for this... but Congratulations Torben Sir! How did your son's birthday go? :)

Hi, and thanks! His party went great. He got lots of toys, and happily none of them are too loud. . .

Torben

Tube Vs Transistor ?

Yall want a room? =)

We do already called a ****-chat>2112 and your in it ha,ha :p

I'm about to purchase an amp this guy's hear at work he's bringing it tomorrow. Were going to plug it in at a location on campus that's being renovated we may even draw campus police. I hope not.

He said it was a Marshall Transistor Ported Amp. I hope to get a better price than $450.00. I think he said it was designed to mimic a Tube amp.

The guy's who sold me my Fender Strat is wanting to sell the Tube Valve Amp that is supposed to be designed for it. At the time my wife didn't have the cash for both. I'm going to talk to him today to let him know what I'm about to look at. Maybe I'll finally get him to bring me that as well.

Soon as I get the info Maybe you guy's can give me an Idea which is better.

You can really get some cool effects with digital Boxes these day's which should give the Transistor Amp more effects than I could get with a Tube Amp.

kv:D

Weird. . .my best friend has played one for years (still does). In 8 years of touring together I don't think I ever saw him turn it up past 3 and he could get lots of crunch out of it. He had a lot of custom work done to his guitar and amp though, so that might have been the difference.

Torben

I never gigged with mine but used it in a few rehearsals... had a smaller Peavey with an effects loop that was more versatile. Had I kept it, probably would've gotten some work done on it. There's a guy in Virginia that adds a loop. and does a few mods to make it sound better a low volumes. I'd be curious to know what kind of work your friend had done on the amp.

I just remembered who's awesome -
NICKLEBACK's awesome.

In addition to "Too Bad", they also did "Figured You Out" and "Rockstar". Let me just remind you of some of the beautiful lyrics from the sweet love ballad that is "Figured You Out" -
I like your pants around your feet
And I like the dirt that's on your knees
And I like the way you still say please
While your looking up at me
You're like my favourite damn disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back