Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 or 3 questions (power dissipating, newton and potencial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello people !

I'm doing an homework in maths and there's some questions that are in relations with what we learn in the electro class. But some of the questions I need to work on were not covered in my electric class so far (we had a day canceled).

I am not asking for straight answers but I'm gonna write the 3 questions that bother me anyway, so I'll be able to ask my questions. (We are in DC).

1. A power (P) of 320mW is dissipated in a resistor (R) of 200 ohms. What is the potencial (in volts) at the terminals of the resistor ?

2. What energy is needed to move a charge of 4,0 mC under a potencial of 60,0V ? (Significant numbers)

3. With the significant numbers:
a) what is the potencial of a resistor knowing that its ohmic value is 15,0 Ω and the current in the circuit is 0,40 A.

b) determine the enegy dissipated in the resistor in one minute.

So now, my questions !

in 1., do I need to use √(WR) ?
like it'd be square of (0,320W times 200 Ω) = 64 volts
?

in the 2nd one. (I'll sleep on this one and try it in the morning)

Finally the 3rd one, a) is it simply V=RI (so 6 volts because 15Ω x 0.4 A) ?

but here's the one bothering me: energy dissipated in the resistor in one minute, I need an explanation on this one if someone has some time to teach this here !

A big thank you, I hope all the blabla I wrote is readable and understandable! My english is hard to reach tonight, I'm weary and need a bit of sleep.
:)²

1. Yes, P=V²/R. So V=√(PR).

3a. Yes.
3b. Power = I²Rt Joules. Where t = seconds.

Mike.

My replies in RED

in 1., do I need to use √(WR) ? Yes
like it'd be square of (0,320W times 200 Ω) = 64 volts? Your numbers are wrong and I think you mean square root.

in the 2nd one. (I'll sleep on this one and try it in the morning) Good because I have no idea what the question means!

Finally the 3rd one, a) is it simply V=RI (so 6 volts because 15Ω x 0.4 A) ? Yes

but here's the one bothering me: energy dissipated in the resistor in one minute, I need an explanation on this one if someone has some time to teach this here !

Energy is measured in Joules.
A Joule is a watt.second, so 5 watts for 3 seconds is 15 Joules.
Does that help?

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, and good morning.

So the 2nd question was "What energy is needed to move a charge of 4,0 mC under a potencial of 60,0V ? (Significant numbers)"

I think I should have written "significant figures" (which is something about the decimals I believe). I need to find the energy needed in order to move a charge of 4 milliCoulomd when a supply is set to 60 volts.

This is a harsh one.

*also, I forgot to square root my 64 in my previous post, so I meant 8 volts.

I did V=W/Q

So 60 Volts = ?/0,004 coulomb
so W = VxQ
so 0.24 Watts = 60V x 0.004 C

Is this correct ?

P = W(joules)/Q(coulomb) -> can I assume that joules = watts and coulomb = amperes right away if there's no time factor ?

I'm guessing that 4millicoulomb requires 4mA for 1 second. Hence at 60V it would require 240mJ. But it is only a guess.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back