Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1N4001 diode vs. LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein

Hi, I'm working on making a simple rain alarm for kicks, but instead of using an 1N4001 diode I want to swap it out for an LED, the only problem is I'm not entirely sure how to find an LED that would have the same specs as the 1N4001. I've tried a few searches but so far I've only been linked to each one's individual specs, and thus I haven't found one that would be similar enough to be used instead of the 1N4001.

Thanks for any help.

Most LEDs have a forward drop of 2-3.5V vs only 0.65V for a 1n400x at 20mA. The reverse breakdown of an LED is ~5V vs tens to hundreds of V for a 1n400x.

You never will. :(
Can you post the schematic, as there might be another way to get what you need.

Ken

**broken link removed**

Here's the diagram for it.

Hopefully that will be of some use.

Thanks for the quick responses

I assume that the LED you want to use is to indicate that the relay is activated. The diode is there short out the counter EMF from the collapsing field of deactivating coil, protecting the output transistors in the 555. Even if the LED could withstand the counter EMF current and voltage levels, it would have to be oriented in a manner that would not allow it to light. If you need an indicator, place the LED with a series resistor across the coil, with the anode toward the + supply.

Ken

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back