Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

$1M challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

philba

This is perfect! James Randi is challenging anyone to prove that super pricey ($7250) speaker cables actually sound better than "ordinary" Monster cables. He's put up $1M for this challenge. Nothing like tweaking the ******** audiophile press that supports this total ripoff segment of the audio industry.

https://gizmodo.com/gadgets/calling-********/james-randi-offers-1-million-if-audiophiles-can-prove-7250-speaker-cables-are-better-305549.php

It seems worth the effort to take him up on the challenge. Even in a blind test, your odds of guessing it right are better than your odds of winning the lottery. Of course, your credibility as an audiophile are out the window if you get it wrong. Still, I'd have a go.

Quite often the bottom line differences between good quality and the lunatic fringe audio products doesn't make worthwhile sonic improvements to humar ears. The improvements may be measured and proven via quality test equipment and setups, but to the average listener, or even the trained ear for that matter, any sonic improvements heard are likely subjective from the listener.

I can sell an audiophile two 12 foot lengths of good speaker wire for $200, pocket $100 for my efforts, and that person will not likely hear the difference between my scam and an even more ridiculous one of $7200 wires! You can bet on the fact that if I went out and spent $7200 on speaker wires, I would immediately notice an improvement... a subjective one that is. Not much more than false rationale for overspending on a questionable need to begin with! I'd rather spend that tidy sum on higher end audio components where some real sonic improvements can definitely be heard. The D/A converter stage in digital audio is crucial to what we hear through the speakers. Spend money on a very good D/A stage and ultra low noise power supplies, not so much on $7200 wires!

Last edited:
Would they be gold wire...

I dont get how 12 can be 7200 dollar...

I use radioshack wire...

Gold? Silver's a better conductor. If you want better conductors, then cool them. This test will never be able to be pass a double blind study. The difference in human hearing from one individual to another is greater than the actual difference in perceivable quality from the cables.

I've hung with several audio forum over the years and there is constant battle between the believers and the sceptics

Objectivists = Claims of differences and improvements in sound should be measurable and/or proved with double blind testing. Science driven.

Subjectivists = If it doesn't measure better then you aren't measuring the right thing. The ear is the only test equipment that matters. Judges audio equipment as one would rank wine tasting events. If you can't hear the difference then your equipment or ears aren't sensitive enough to hear what I hear, etc.

Neither side listens well to the other sides argument and few change opinions over time. After a while it just kind of gets boring.

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
Subjectivists = The ear is the only test equipment that matters. Judges audio equipment as one would rank wine tasting events. If you can't hear the difference then your equipment or ears aren't sensitive enough to hear what I hear, etc.
Well that right there would prevent a good many folks from spending $7200 on such a short length of wire. I can't think of any other device made on earth that would require precision wire like that on the space shuttle or ISS where human lives and billions of dollars are at stake (perhaps a cardiac pacemaker too).

Would super conductor cabling even cost that much?

Much more, but Here is a interesting article.

**broken link removed**

That's a far cry from carrying 138KV to that of an audio power amp! One could feel and hear the transmission of that much high-tension voltage if close enough to it. Even with a 1000watts rms amp, you wouldn't hear nor feel anything, even if the speaker wiring was wrapped around your head!

Last edited:
Krumlink There is nothing on your Website So don't bother advertizing it

Lol I havnt had time to work on it :D :D :D

It is going to have projects, links, my robots and some fun stuff on it!

I will be doing a bunch of work on it hopefully tomorrow and next week.

Sceadwian said:
Would super conductor cabling even cost that much?

Niobium Tin costs at most $10-20 per foot for common size multifilament wire.

Niobium Titanium costs less due to its lower critical current at any given field and can be had for less than $5 per foot.

Exotic high temperature superconductors can cost upwards of one hundred dollars per foot which is still cheaper than the $7K speaker wires.

The cost of the superconducting wire is miniscule compared to the initial cost of the equipment necessary to handle cryogens and the recurring costs of liquid helium and nitrogen to cool the wire.

When all is said and done, dynamic music sources could lead to problems because large di/dt values in the wire can cause it to quench (come out of its superconducting state).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back