Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1601 HD44780 type LCD replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilious

Hi,

I'm trying to replace a simple 16x1 LCD character display but am having difficulty removing it.

I've tried desoldering the 16 pins with a solder sucker, Ive also tried making a tool that fits on the pins and attaches to a regular soldering iron to heat all the pins a once, the unit will not budge.

If I could just cut the pins first to remove the LCD then take each pin out separately I'd do that but I cannot get ANYTHING between the LCD PCB and the main PCB due to its placement.

My only other options as I see it are to -

1) Use copper braid to de-solder the pins - not very confident since the sucker didn't do much OR
2) Buy a $200 de-soldering gun and hope that it removes the last of the solder.

If there are any other techniques anyone can suggest I'm all ears as I've scoured the internet looking for tips and tricks but am unfortunately fresh out of ideas.

I rarely use a sucker. The braid will pull solder from the holes by wicking. Sometimes, adding more fresh solder and flux helps. As a last resort, I use a sucker or a blast of air to blow remain solder out. I have also used a quick flick of the board over a trash can to get rid of solder.

John

Yea, sucker has been good for some limited jobs, but I think I just found its limit. I've got some old oxidized braid that refuses to be wetted.

I made my own solder flux paste at work a few years ago with gum rosin (we had a metric ton pallet of the stuff) dissolved in hot IPA then added some petroleum jelly, stuff works like a charm. I'll give it a go and if it does';t work I'll just get some new stuff.

I might just get a de-soldering gun station anyhow, then I might start using some more recycled components :cool:

Cheers jpanhalt

How close are all the pins? If they're close enough, can you not maybe flood them all with solder to make one giant shorted solder blob? Then it'll come off easily, and clean it up afterwards with some wick.

You may have to use 2 soldering irons though.

How close are all the pins? If they're close enough, can you not maybe flood them all with solder to make one giant shorted solder blob? Then it'll come off easily, and clean it up afterwards with some wick.

You may have to use 2 soldering irons though.

They're standard 2.54mm DIL spacing.

I did consider this, but had some concerns that it wouldn't work due to the spacing, but if you think it will work, I'll also give it a go.

I made this....
IMG_4938.JPG

maybe it will work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back