Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"13 months x 28 days" year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HudzonHawk

I've read an interesting idea recently, about switching to a year that's composed of 13 months each consisting of 28 days. (there'd still be a leap day, though).

Personally, I think it would be a great switch since I'm quite annoyed by our current system of pseudo-random month lengths.

I want to find out what others think about it the idea. (Well, technically I already have, and the others called me crazy, but maybe on a forward thinking forum such as this I'll get a better reaction :p).

Hardly an original idea, I seem to remember it's been suggested occasionally for centuries (not that I was there personally of course!).

Isn't it called a 'lunar calendar'.

To be honest I don't really see as it would make any difference?, just cause extra confusion, and mess everyone's birthdays up.

Quick google from Wikipedia:

Old English 13-month lunar year
In England, a calendar of thirteen months of 28 days each, plus one extra day, known as "a year and a day" was still in use up to Tudor times. This would be a hybrid calendar that had substituted regular weeks of seven days for actual quarter-lunations, so that one month had exactly four weeks, regardless of the actual moon phase. The "lunar year" is here considered to have 364 days, resulting in a solar year of "a year and a day".

As a religious tradition, the thirteen-month years survived among European peasants for more than a millennium after the adoption of the Julian Calendar.

I'd be down for it, but I'm weird that way. I know the zodiac doesn't quite line up with our current month system - it'd be completely incomprehensible with a 13 month system. What do you propose for tax services, businesses, etc., who form plans and present audits based on quarterly divisions? The year would be easily divisible by quarters, just not in units of months.

hi,
When I write PC programs for animal stock breeding and control I always use the Lunar month of 28 days [4 weeks and 13 months]

I would prefer the 13 month Lunar month as standard.;)

Would it still be a 24 hour day? Or would you have to redefine the second too? Which is pretty impractical nowadays.

Well the days are gradually getting longer as the earth's rotation slows down, so don't see the point of changing thing as we'll always have to make adjustments every now and then.

Hero999 said:
Well the days are gradually getting longer as the earth's rotation slows down, so don't see the point of changing thing as we'll always have to make adjustments every now and then.

Personally I don't feel as that's much of a concern! :p

Simply due to the time scale involved - perhaps a species like the shark may find it of concern?.

Well, it is a problem on computer clocks since they'd loose a few seconds per year.

I don't see how it's a problem for plants and animals since it's over such a lond timescale that they'll evolve to compensate for it.

Reminds me of the Dozenal Societys out there, trying to get people to switch to using a base 12 numbering system instead of a decimal one because it makes certain every day math easier.

I would prefer hexadecimal!

Think of all the digits we would save, not to speak of doing away with BCD!

True but it's a poor choice when you consider that you can't divide by 5, 10 or 3 without recurring decimals.

60 would be a good choice but you'd need a lot of symbols to represent it although the Babylonians had no trouble.

how about we don't worry about the year, and let's focus on getting rid of the Customary Measurement System? :/

The year is a customer measurement system =) The world will never be 'ideal' no matter what your standards are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back