Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v led turnsignals

Status
Not open for further replies.

d8ain25

Hello,

I searched around the forum, and didn't find anything that would help me with a project that I have going on.

I purchased some LED strips that I am going to install on my car. The issue is that they are dual color, white and amber. The white is a running light, and then the amber is the flasher part. If I just hook up these strips, and use the turn signal, it will flash white, amber, white, amber... What I am trying to do is turn off the white while the amber flashes, then allowing the white to turn back on after the signaling stops.

I have a relay that I was going to use, but it doesn't quite do the job. I am trying to figure out a way to have a capacitor or something over the input for the relay that will keep the relay triggered as long as there is a momentary signal from the turn signal. I already have load resistors attached from a previous set of signals, but I wanted to mount it correctly this time.

Any ideas?

The bulb failure system only hyperflashes when the system thinks that a bulb is out. I have load resistors already to avoid that.

The car that I am working on is a 2007 chevy impala.

The brake lights are also the indicators on this vehicle.

My idea was to just tap into the existing circuitry for the front indicators, and replace them with the led bars that I have. I wouldn't be altering the actual wiring of the vehicle, just using the existing wiring to power the lights. The only issue that I am having is that I can't figure out how to basically latch the relay until the signal stops.

Remember... The turn indication system on the VW uses the bulb to earth the warning dash bulb ( that's why they flash alternately ).. Maybe you could do something that way!! ( Are they are the reversible powered ones, not the three legged ones? )

There must be people on the net who have done this.. Maybe piggy back onto their design....

I could do this dead easy with a micro!!

There are three wires on the string. One for ground, one to power white, and one to power amber.

I would think that throwing a capacitor on the power for the relay would work, but I am not sure. I figured I would seek assistance before I started throwing parts at the problem.

Am I understanding this request as being these LED strips' output color is dependent upon voltage polarity? If not, then flashing each color separately is better than a circuit re-design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back