Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12v DC motor to open and close a door

Status
Not open for further replies.

b***nb

Hello, I'm just a beginner in the electronics field and still a student. I'm currently working on a project that will open the lid on a box about ((L)x(W)x(H))= 36"x24"x12" and then automatically close it after say 6 or 7 hours.

I have every thing built and figured out accept for a motor or system to actually open and close the lid.

I'm using a 12v sealed lead acid battery with a programmable switch and a 12v solar panel to recharge the battery out in the field. The programmable switch will allow me to control when power is supplied to the unit. Kinda of like on, off, on, off. However I was thinking of using a 12v dc motor that would use an arm on the end of it to push up when the motor is at 12 o'clock and close the lid when the motor is at 6 o'clock.

My problem lies in the motor its timing, speed, reversible?
I went with 12V DC with the idea of using a motor from a car like a powered antenna or window regulator?

Money is a factor and I need to be able to complete this, any ideas or help in design will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

My problem lies in the motor its timing, speed, reversible?
I went with 12V DC with the idea of using a motor from a car like a powered antenna or window regulator?
If there's an auto junkyard near you, you could likely get a power window mechanism from a junked car. It would have a 12V reversable motor, plus an arm that controlled the window, which could operate your lid.

They also make a rotary solenoids, but you might get by with a linear one.
What's the lid made of and how thick?
Post a pic. of the geometry we're looking at and we can figure out what force you need.
Are you allowed to counterbalance the lid's weight, using springs or other methods?

b***nb,
Did the swear word filter censor your name?:D

Please PM me what you really wanted to call yourself.

Automotive parts are probably not quite the right choice. They are pretty bulky and hard to accomodate in an application like yours.

There are many DC-motors with reduction gears (planetary type) and different shaft rpm. You can find them in hobby shops or shops selling industrial overproduction parts.

There are also miniature sprockets and chains to find which you could connect to drive the door. Use limit switches for the 'open' and 'closed' position to interact as motor stop and reverse motor direction as well via a small logic circuit.

The logic takes care that even a single pushbotton can be used to open and close the door.

Boncuk

i want to design an automated shelter system that when there is the sun shines the optical sensor control the DC motor to close the shelter door and when it is not any shine it will be closed,please help me

navidbox, instead of hijacking some one elses thread (subject) you'll probably get a better chance of a response if you start your own.

Your description is also vague in that you state you want it "CLOSED" whether "shine" or "not any shine"

Otherwise welcome to a very informative forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back