1. Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
    Dismiss Notice

12v dc 2 way lighting circuit

Discussion in 'Electronic Projects Design/Ideas/Reviews' started by irn01, Jul 9, 2011.

1. irn01

irn01 New Member

I want to install a 12v dc lighting circuit in my caravan consisting of one light mounted centrally with 2 switches mounted 1 each side. This will enable the light to be switched on or off independently by either switch. Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for this installation?

2. MEJY1988

MEJY1988 New Member

Just hook it as if it was a 3-way lighting circuit in the hallway of your house. You would need two (2) single pole double throw switches (1P2T). Make sure they are 2 position. If you use a 3 position switch and it is left in the "center" position, then you would not be able to turn the light on from the other switch. Please see attached picture for circuit diagram. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. irn01

irn01 New Member

many thanks - I will give it a try on a bench first to avoid burning the caravan out!

4. dave

Dave New Member

5. MEJY1988

MEJY1988 New Member

Make sure you use a fuse in your circuit.

6. irn01

irn01 New Member

will do, of course. The caravan lighting circuits are fully protected through a built in fuse box.