Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12f675 max current into vdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

justwantin

I'm learning as I go and have a question regarding the max current into a 12f675.

My data sheet states that the max current into vdd is 250mA. I have a circuit I want to try which would be powered by a switchmode power supply rated 5V 2.5A. I would be randomly switching 5 LEDs rated at 350mA plus a 6th 350mA LED would remain on constantly so it seems this PS would provide the current required.

It is my understanding that circuits only draw what they need, however, I keep thinking that without some sort of current limiting the 12f675 might be damaged since the data sheet is saying max in is 250mA.

Should I include some sort of current limiting into the PIC?

It means that the total maximum current the MCU can directly supply from its 250mA which is nowhere near enough so you need to use transistors to switch the LEDs.

There's no need to limit the current to the PIC, it will draw as much as it needs.

Thanks,

I have already breadboarded this project using 5 X 2n3906's for the switches. I was just concerned about too much current to the pic and I haven't really gotten my feet firmly on the ground with these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back