Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120VAC photo sensor to 5VDC input pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

windozeuser

I have this MP series diffuse photo sensor that operates off of 120VAC, the specification sheet is on page 2 of this PDF file:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/09/MP2520SERIES-specifications.pdf

The sensor has a built in LED everytime it is "energized" I was wondering if I could sense if the LED is lit and feed that to the Arduino but it sounds a little tacky and error prone. The photo sensor is mounted up against something so I cant really detect the IR beam with another sensor.

I was wondering whats the best most practical way to get the 120V output down to a digital I/O pin of an arduino. The thought I had was a solid state relay, but there has to be a cheaper way right?

I need to basically counter every time the sensor goes from LOW to HIGH sampled every 2 seconds

A small transformer would get the volts down and provide isolation for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back