Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

110V to 220V

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceq

Hi,
I've got a media player from the US, but am now in Europe. The player is wired for the US (picture of the open box attached).

Question number 1. Is it possible to replace this 110V part to 220V one (would that be called converter? - on the right side of the picture where the power comes)?

Question number 2. Where can I get one? And if anyody knows how it is called in French, merci!

And Question number 3. Is it an easy job for an amateur?

thanks for your help! :)

Ace

Attachments

• dsm_520_internal_case.jpg
    dsm_520_internal_case.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 311
It might be able to work on 220V but the picture is too small to see.

What does it say in the manual; is the voltage rating written on the device?

The chances are if it's rated for 110V only you can't easilly replace the converter.

What's the power rating?

You can buy small auto-transformers that convert 220V to 110V in order to run US appliances in the Europe.

I am fairly sure that the power supply is a switch mode one. The main transformer is far too small for it to be a linear one.

Just about all the switch mode supplies that I have seen are rated to anywhere between 100 - 240 V, as it is easy to do and it makes commercial sense to have one design. All laptop supplies are like that, and they look like that power supply once you remove the black plastic.

I suggest you unplug the output of the power supply, and connect the power to 220 V. If it goes bang, you need a new power supply. If not, and the power supply output is at the right voltage, just plug it back in and you've saved yourself money and trouble.

I suggest you unplug the output of the power supply, and connect the power to 220 V. If it goes bang, you need a new power supply. If not, and the power supply output is at the right voltage, just plug it back in and you've saved yourself money and trouble.

You said that as a joke...right? Sounds like "Here...hold my beer and watch this!" :eek:

If the label on the outside of the player or on the smps module says 110v believe it. Unless you have more dollars than sense.

Ken

It's not a joke.

The power supply is obviously made separately, probably by a different manufacturer. The manufacturer of the media player may not have thought it worthwhile to get all the approvals for Europe, or tested the assembly at voltages other than 110, so the player only has 110 V written on it.

The power supply is very likely to be rated to a wider voltage range, as it is a switchmode supply.

Have a look at the voltage rating on the biggest capacitor on the power supply. If it is 400V or more, the power supply is almost certain to be rated to 220 V.

Have a look at the voltage rating on the biggest capacitor on the power supply. If it is 400V or more, the power supply is almost certain to be rated to 220 V.

That advice seems a lot better in determining what he has than "plug it in and see what happens".

Ken

It is 110-120V, 0.5A

It is 110-120V, 0.5A. Sounds like it will likely be "bang" if I read you correctly.

So, a transformer is the only solution? Are you talking about a transformer that usually goes between an outlet and a plug?

thanks again in advance!

i would say use a 110-220V transformer..

be aware that you have to consider the wattage too.. don't just buy any 110-220V transformer..

luckily though, most audio equipment have low wattage so you shouldn't have a problem using a 60-watt transformer, i recommend a 100-watt just to be safe because the wattage for your device is ~115V * 0.5A = 57.5 watts..

other devices like refrigerators or microwaves would draw a lot more power, so you'd need a bigger transformer

It is 110-120V, 0.5A. Sounds like it will likely be "bang" if I read you correctly.

So, a transformer is the only solution? Are you talking about a transformer that usually goes between an outlet and a plug?

Where is the 110-120V, 0.5A written? That isn't the capacitor value.

The big capacitor will have a voltage rating of 200 to 450 V, and a capacitance of 50 to 500 µF. Both these numbers will be written on it.

The picture show a typical power supply with the red arrows pointing at the big capacitor. The power supply on your media player will have a capacitor like that, and the numbers on it will give you a god idea of the voltage rating.

Attachments

• Switching_Power_Supply.jpg
    Switching_Power_Supply.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 271

thanks again in advance!

Indeed, it's a cheap and good solution.
Like metropolis said, look for a 100W transformer. (If it is in VA, buy a 150VA one).

I agree, looking at the capacitor is the easiest way to determine the voltage rating.

The maximum AC voltage is normally equal to Vcapacitor/1.4, for example a supply 400V capacitor will a maximum voltage rating of 400/1.4 = 285V.

Even looking at the capacitor voltages, I think it's not a safe way to determine the PSU voltage rating.

Let's imagine a situation that the project engineer wants to have a "big tolerance", or a improved "resistance" to surges? But that's my opinion.

That's probably true to some extent.

A switcher with a 400V capacitor probably isn't safe working from 285V continuously.

On the other hand, I doubt an engineer would select a 400V capacitor for an SMPs only desinged to work from 120V.

A 400V capacitor is a good indication it's designed to work up to 250VAC and not just 120VAC.

The AC/DC power supply shown looks just like a Condor....and if you read the small white label on it you will see the input voltage range.
I would bet you a beer that it says 90VAC - 240VAC.

The unit is specified for 115VAC, because the input wiring is only compatible with 115VAC, and was probably made just for the American market.

Look again, and tell us what the small white label on the power supply says.

You could also swap it out with a universal input supply.....much cheaper than getting a step down transformer.

Get us the part number and manyfacturer name on the supply, this sould be easy to solve without resorting to a step down transformer.

Here is detailed information

Hello again and I am certainly impressed with your advices. Sorry for a late-night reply, the weather was pretty good today and I happen to be now close by Alps, so couldn't resist putting my ski gear on.

You are giving me a lot of hope, however I haven't yet plugged the machine to my 220V outlet.

I am not sure if 1.3mb picture will upload, so this is what's written on the white label of a fat drum that you, I guess, call a capacitor :)

Jentec Technology, Inc
Model: JTP0201-B
AC Input: 100-240 Vac/1A
50-60 Hz
DC Output: +5V/2A, +12V/2A

Made in China
EL

I look for your concensus on whether I can go ahead and cut the US plug, screw on a EU plug and ... let it work.

thanks again in advance! always nice talking to the experts

Attachments

• 2_00007.jpg
    2_00007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 279
info on this capacitor from the manufacturer

I just googled this part number and got this pdf from the manufacturer's website Jentec Technology Co themselves...

I attach PDF, but below I also paste what's in there. There are CE and TUV approvals on the spec, so I take it - it should work in Europe! :)
However I would not dare experimenting, waiting for your comments...

Input Characteristics
Voltage 90 ~ 264Vac
Frequency 47 to 63Hz
Inrush Current 30A Max. @ 115Vac
Conducted EMI FCC part 15J Class B and
CISPR22(EN55022)Class B
Isolation 10M OHM at 500 VDC
Leakage Current 3.5mA Max.
Output Characteristics
Hold-up Time 10mS . @ 115Vac
Short Circuit Protection Continuous
Over Voltage Protection Option
Environmental Characteristics
Operating Temperature 0 ~ 40oC
Storage Temperature -25 ~ 95oC
Mechanical Characteristics
Dimensions JTP0201-A=150 x 45 x 23 m/m
JTP0201-B=120 x 40 x 23 m/m
Weight 242 g
AC Inlet 3-2PIN(3.96mm)

Attachments

• 020120SPEC.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 492
How to do it..

Unless there is a specification information within the instructions that came with the player that state 220-240 volt range, or there is a clear marking on the PCB of the SMPS stating likewise, you have to assume that it is only 110/117V AC unit.

It is therefore required that you transform the 240V into 110~120 Volt. To achieve this, you have 2 ways to go.

You use a transformer or the autotransformer. The autotransformer is much more efficient device(some 95% efficiency comparing with only about 80% or less of the transformer). You need the the 55VA level required (110V x 0.5A). I am assuming you have chosen the autotransformer and the rest that follows is based on that assumption.

To make it cheap but efficient there is no need to go to the store and pay a top price. There must be many flea markets on which you will find a junk player/vcr/amp/radio e.t.c. for a cheap price, but look at the label on the device and determine it is a dual voltage (110/220V) device; it would have an AC voltage selector somwhere at the back and the fuse rated at no less than 0.5A.

It should cost next to nothing. A radio repair shop will probably give you one for free from the junk they have at the back of their workshop, all you need to do is to ask nicely. All you need is the transformer not the unit. The reason they keep that junk is to find some spare parts for the stuff that is already hard to get otherwise - they do not need the transformer, you do.

At home, dismantle the unit and take the transformet out of it. You will not be concerning yourself with any secondary windings. The primary winding from the old unit will plug to the wall socket as it was intended. All you need to do is to run two extra wires from this transformer to your unit. One of them is the Neutral, it is the same neutral that was originally going to that device. The second wire is the tap on that transformer's primary winding that designates the 110v supply. This is the Active wire to your player. It will be one of the wires of the original old unit that switches it betwen 220V and 110V. An AC Voltmeter in hand would be quite helpfull.

The cord from the old unit will plug to the wall socket and your player to the new 110V socket that you may have to purchase. The only missing part is the plastic box in which you may want to hold the old transformer (autotransformer now). You can buy an enclosure or a few litres of an ice cream in a plastic box and use it as a resonable replacement for a much more expensive enclosure and enjoy the ice cream at the same time :)

I hope this helps,

Reegards,
xanadunow

Ooooo.. forget it. Your label clearly states 110 to 240VAC, you may cut the plug and put you ski gear back on :)

Hello again and I am certainly impressed with your advices. Sorry for a late-night reply, the weather was pretty good today and I happen to be now close by Alps, so couldn't resist putting my ski gear on.

You are giving me a lot of hope, however I haven't yet plugged the machine to my 220V outlet.

I am not sure if 1.3mb picture will upload, so this is what's written on the white label of a fat drum that you, I guess, call a capacitor :)

Jentec Technology, Inc
Model: JTP0201-B
AC Input: 100-240 Vac/1A
50-60 Hz
DC Output: +5V/2A, +12V/2A

Made in China
EL

I look for your concensus on whether I can go ahead and cut the US plug, screw on a EU plug and ... let it work.

thanks again in advance! always nice talking to the experts

There you go!......just change the plug and you will be good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back