Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

10 led chaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Sammy

Hi all...I posted last weekend looking for assistance with a 10 led chaser circuit. The schmatic can be found at (**broken link removed**). I believe I have wired it correctly, using a 10 uF cap at C1. Once I connect the battery, only one light lights and stays on. If I wiggle the battery, I can get all the lights to light, but once I leave it still, only one light will stay on, instead of chasing each other. I know the leds are wired correctly, as I tested them individually.
Can anyone please help me figure this out....I'm going out of my mind!! The led's are in the neck of a guitar, and I have to put it all together next week, and I need to figure this out!!
Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone has!!!!

The 555 is supposed to oscillate and it isn't. The 4017 will only light one LED at a time. When you wiggle the battery connections, you get the 4017 turning on and off very quickly, lighting random LEDs. If that is fast enough, then all will be seen to light.

You have noticed that C1 is connected to pin 6 of the 555 and to the end of the 10 kΩ pot, as well as to pin 2, haven't you?

I remember seeing that circuit before. Something I questioned was where the author mentions:

Update Feb 25, 2011: Seems that some folks don't fully understand the 555. My intent was to have the least number of parts to flash some LEDs. Some new builders become overwhelmed when the parts count is high — I once shared this fear and relate. You'll see a number of different bias circuits for the 555. Many builders run the reset pin; Pin 4 high (connected to the 9 volt battery) and as a rule, this is a good thing to do, but it's not necessary for the circuit to work. Pin 7 is an open collector output to ground — its primary purpose is to discharge the capacitor.

Generally when using the 555 as an astable multi-vibrator (clock signal in this case) pin 4 the reset pin is tied high and I never understood why the author claims it is not necessary. For example if you look at this link and scroll down to the astable version of a 555 pin 4 is tied to high. This is true of any like circuit. What are you doing with pin 4 of the 555 in your circuit?

Ron

I would check your connections to your 555 carefully. Also make sure that your timer is connected to the clock input of the 4017. One of the most common problems I have come across is that people do not realize that (as mentioned before) pin 2 of the 555 connects to pin 6, the positive side of the cap, AND to the potentiometer. Also, I think you might get better control if you do not connect the 1k resistor to the other side of the pot. Instead, connect one side of the pot to pin 6 and the wiper to pin 7. Then connect the 1k resistor directly between pin 7 and 8 (leaving the other side of the pot open). That shouldn't be the problem--just a suggestion for when you get it working.

Good luck!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back