Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1 mhz oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
psycho-path said:
I need a 1 MHz oscillator for this AM transmitter, but all the stores near me dont have it.
Here is a link:
https://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/computers/radio/computer_controlled_transmitter.html

Is there an alternative part which would work as well? Does it matter how many MHz, and how do I connect it if it has two leads sticking out only?

p.s. Is there a way to modify this project to make it work with a USB port?

The frequency does matter, 1 MHz is roughly in the middle of the AM band.

Hey that's pretty cool, so I can get 50 oscillators and transmit on 50 frequencies!

If my oscillator has 2 leads do I just hook it up as normal?

If your "oscillator" only has two leads, it's probably just a crystal and it will need more circuitry to make it work...
JB

psycho-path said:
Hey that's pretty cool, so I can get 50 oscillators and transmit on 50 frequencies!
It broadcasts to as far as anywhere within your house!
Invite all your friends to bring over their AM radios to hear the Morse Code.

Just use a spark gap, that will broadcast all the way from near DC into the microwave bands and beyond.

What are the advantages of a spark gap? I don't understand what you mean.
Also, is there an easy way of making an oscillator?

p.s. This is a stupid question, but what is the earth or ground wire for in radio devices? Why do you need it if you have an antenna?

Last edited:
psycho-path said:
What are the advantages of a spark gap? I don't understand what you mean.
I think Hero is being sarcastic!
Spark transmitters were used in the very early days of radio, they are now banned due to their habit of transmitting on all frequencies at once, so causing interference to all other signals.

psycho-path said:
Also, is there an easy way of making an oscillator?
Yes is the quick answer.

psycho-path said:
p.s. This is a stupid question, but what is the earth or ground wire for in radio devices? Why do you need it if you have an antenna?
The simple answer is that the antenna and the earth make a circuit with the input stage of the reciever (or the output stage of a transmitter).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back